- 16 Mar 2017 - 17 Mar 2017
- UNESCO-IHE, Westvest 7, 2611 AX Delft
This international conference brings together scientists, algaeneers and practitioners to exchange the latest knowledge on the application of algae for wastewater treatment and resource recovery.
Wastewater engineers using algae can benefit from knowledge coming from the use of algae to produce biofuels, food supplements or green pharmaceuticals. Likewise, wastewater as a cheap source of nutrients and inorganic carbon is promising for the production of algae-based commodities. For example, algae based treatment systems in developing world tropical countries, may reduce wastewater treatment costs via the recovery of its inherent resources.
If you are sharing updates or want to keep updated on this event on Twitter, the hashtag is #IWALGAE17
The conference offers an overview and discussion of the latest scientific developments and practical applications in these fields.
Key note speakers
- Prof. dr. ir. Rene Wijffels, Agrotechnology and Food Sciences, Wageningen University, The Netherlands
- Frank Rogalla, Director of Innovation and Technology, FCC Aqualia, Spain
We congratulate Amandine Gales with the poster award for her poster "Importance of microbial succession for a successful start-up and stable wastewater treatment using microalgae". She got 20% of the votes.
Top 3 of the poster awarding
1 Importance of microbial succession for a successful start-up and stable wastewater treatment using microalgae, presenter, Amandine Gales, UMR MARBEC, France
2 Strategies for cyanobacteria selection in a tertiary wastewater treatment system for polyhydrohybutyrates and glycogen production, presenter Dulce Arias, Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya, Spain
3 Harvesting of microalgae biomass from wastewater treatment processes, presenter,F.G. Acien, Universidad de Almeria, Spain
3. Nutrient removal with microalgae - reduction of the effluent concentration from wastewater treatment plant, presenter Tatjana Wawilow, Forschungszentrum Julich, Germany.
* Numbers 3 had the same number of votes
The main purpose of the 1st IWA Conference on Algal Technologies for Wastewater Treatment and Resource Recovery is to bring together scientists, algaeneers and practitioners and act as a discussion and knowledge-sharing platform on the latest developments on algal technologies. Thus, scientists, algaeneers and practitioners will discuss the following themes:
- High rate algae ponds, photo-activated sludge and microalgae-bacterial flocs
- Photo-bioreactor design
- Phototrophic biofilms and granules
- Experimental methods, algal respirometry, monitoring, modeling and process control
- Algal microbial interactions and mixed culture ecology
- Macroalgae-based technologies
- Algae based wastewater treatment
- Biodiesel and biogas production from algae grown in wastewater
- Waste gas treatment and greenhouse gas capture
- Algae downstream processing to valuable products
- Algae-based nutrient removal and recovery
- Algae systems in a circular economy
The presentation formats are oral and poster presentations and can include lab- and full-scale research and case studies on the aforementioned topics.
- Early-bird registration: January 15th, 2017
- Submission of outline-papers and power point presentations: March 10th, 2017
- Conference: March 16-17th, 2017
Download the final programme here.
For more information about the programme contact us 1stIWAConferenceAlgalTech@unesco-ihe.org
The online-registration has been closed, as the maximum number of participants has been reached for the venue of the conference.
Submission of presentations
Here you can download the guidelines for the poster presentations.
The posters will be judged by the participants for a ‘best poster’ award.
Arranging your stay in Delft
Here you can find more information to arrange your stay in Delft.