Motasem Abushaban is a Water Treatment and Desalination Engineer who is currently working as a researcher at IHE Delft, Netherlands.Abushaban has been involved in several projects related to membrane filtration technology including biological fouling and scaling of reverse osmosis membranes and pre-coating of ultra-filtration membrane.Moreover, he has been working as water consultant engineer for 2 years, in which he has been involved in designing and construction of various water supply projects. Mr Abushaban awarded doctoral degree on 3 December 2019. Find the link to his thesis here: https://ihedelftrepository.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/phd1/id/51731
TopicBiological fouling and scaling in reveres Osmosis membrane systems
- Abushaban, A., Salinas-Rodriguez, S. G., Dhakal, N., Schippers, J. C., and Kennedy, M. D. (2019) Assessing pretreatment and seawater reverse osmosis performance using an ATP-based bacterial growth potential method. Desalination, 2019. 467: p. 210-218. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2019.06.001
- Abushaban, A., Salinas-Rodriguez, S. G., Mangal, M. N., Mondal, S., Goueli, S. A., Knezev, A., Vrouwenvelder, J. S., Schippers, J. C., and Kennedy, M. D. (2019) ATP measurement in seawater reverse osmosis systems: Eliminating seawater matrix effects using a filtration-based method. Desalination, 2019. 453: p. 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.desal.2018.11.020
- Abushaban, A., Mangal, M. N., Salinas-Rodriguez, S. G., Nnebuo, C., Mondal, S., Goueli, S. A., . . . Kennedy, M. D. (2017). Direct measurement of ATP in seawater and application of ATP to monitor bacterial growth potential in SWRO pre-treatment systems. Desalination and Water Treatment, 99, 91-101. doi: 10.5004/dwt.2017.21783
- Salinas Rodriguez, S.G., Prabowo, A., Abushaban, A., Battes, F., Schippers, J.C., & Kennedy, M.D. (2016). Pre-coating of outside-inside capillary UF membranes with iron hydroxide particles to limit non-backwashable fouling during seawater algal blooms. Desalination and Water Treatment, 57(55), 26730-26740. doi:10.1080/19443994.2016.1190111
- Hamad, J., Eshtawi, T. A., Abushaban, A., and Habboub M. (2012) "Modeling the Impact of Land-Use Change on Water Budget of Gaza Strip," Journal of Water Resource and Protection, Vol. 4 No. 6, 2012, pp. 325-333. doi: 10.4236/jwarp.2012.46036.
- Abushaban, A., Salinas-Rodriguez, S. G., Mondal, S., Goueli, S. A., . . . Kennedy, M. D. (2017) A new method of assessing bacterial growth in seawater reverse osmosis systems: method development and applications. The International Desalination Association World Congress –Sao Paulo, Brazil, REF: IDA17WC-58031_ Abushaban.
- Mondal, S., Abushaban, A., Salinas-Rodriguez, S. G., Goueli, S. A., . . . Kennedy, M. D. (2017) Development and application of new methods to measure bacterial activity and nutrients in seawater reverse osmosis (SWRO). American Membrane Technology Association (AMTA), Membrane Technology Conference & Exposition – February 2017, Long Beach, CA, USA.
- Winner of IDA world congress 2017 innovation award in Sao Paulo, Brazil (Oct- 2017)
- Middle East Desalination Research Center (MEDRC) Scholarship – 42,000 € (Sep- 2012)
- IUG Award of Scientific Research - 500 USD (Apr- 2012)
- Environmental Creativity Award – First prize, Ministry of youth and sports (1,000 USD) (Feb- 2012)