Their positive career development, increased professional network, and improved competences, show the benefit of following an academic programme at the Institute.
To celebrate the accomplishments of its alumni, The Institute launched the annual Alumni Award that was given for the first time in 2013.
The IHE Delft Alumni Award will be given to an alumna/us who is at the height of her or his career and has proven to be a role model for other water professionals, by demonstrating the impact of her/his work in a water related field, to improve people's quality of life.
The Institute is celebrating its 60th anniversary and we hope to receive an exceptional number of nominations to give us a good choice of applicants for the 2017 Alumni award.
Think about your alumni friends, former classmates, colleagues who are worthy of the distinction, or consider nominating yourself. Do you know an alumna/us who meets the criteria and deserves to win the award or are you proud of your own achievements that can inspire other professionals and would like to nominate yourself?
If the answer is yes, we would like to invite you to share your experiences with us by filling out the registration form, including a motivation letter and CV for the Alumni Award 2017.
The call for nomination will be open until 7 June 2017. In September 2017 the awarded alumna/us will be announced.
The award winner will be granted a one week visit to the Netherlands to follow a tailor-made programme and to attend the Award Ceremony that will take place at IHE Delft 19 on October, as part of the annual celebration of IHE Delft Alumni Day and Opening of the Academic Year. Shortlisted alumni will be interviewed and their stories will be published on the IHE Delft website and disseminated through different alumni channels. Every year the jury faces the difficult challenge of selecting one candidate among all the highly qualified alumni who are nominated. As a result of that, in 2016 we started to conduct interviews (by skype or phone) with the shortlisted alumni, so that we can include their accounts of the impact of their work on our website and through social media channels.
Guidelines Alumni Award
When nominating a candidate, it is important to explain why you feel that this person, or yourself, should be eligible for the Alumni Award 2017. Alumni who have been nominated previously can be re-nominated.
Nominations for the alumni award 2017 can be sent from now until 7 June 2017.
The award winner will be granted a one week visit to the Netherlands to follow a tailor-made programme and to attend the IHE Delft Alumni Award Ceremony at the Institute on 19 October 2017, as part of the annual celebration of the Institute Alumni Day and the opening of the Academic Year. Shortlisted alumni will be interviewed and their stories will be published on IHE Delft website and disseminated through different alumni channels.
Award Ceremony 2017
The award ceremony will take place on the annual celebration of the Alumni Day and the opening of the Academic Year at IHE Delft, in Delft on 19 October 2017.
Awarding Ceremony 2017
19 October | 17.30 hrs
IHE Delft Auditorium
Westvest 7, Delft
Rules & Regulations
- The Selection Committee is authorized to select a candidate. The Selection Committee consists of a member of the Rectorate, the Alumni Officer, a Communication Officer, a Professor, a Lecturer, an alumna/us working at IHE Delft a PhD fellow and an MSc student.
- Alumni working at IHE Delft are not eligible to receive the alumni award.
- It is not possible to share the prize.
To be eligible for this award, candidates:
- must be IHE Delft or IHE Delft alumna/us that have obtained an academic title (Postgraduate Diploma, MEng, MSc or PhD) at IHE Delft or IHE Delft. Please check your programme at who is an IHE /IHE Delft alumna/us.
- must be able to demonstrate the impact of her/his work in a water related field to improve people’s quality of life.
- must have been a proven role model for other alumni and other water professionals.
- must have been a worthy ambassador of IHE or IHE Delft.
- preferably, have demonstrated a progressive and/or innovative approach to developments in the water field.
- Nominate an alumna/alumnus by filling out the online form or
- Nominate yourself by filling out the online form and mention 2 references and their email addresses
- Describe the achievements of the alumna/us or yourself in a motivation letter of 500 words (place, action, impact). If you are nominating yourself, spell out your achievements proudly - you are up against stiff competition! Do not just send in your CV - it will be dismissed without a motivation letter.
- Submit the form
- After submission of the form a confirmation will be sent
- A member of the selection committee can contact the nominator or references to request for extra information
- The winner will be informed in September to arrange logistics for the awarding ceremony
Previous alumni award winners
2013 | Michael Mutale | Alumnus from Zambia | Executive Secretary at Zambezi Watercourse Commission (ZAMCOM) and coordinator of the Global Water Partnership for Southern African Regional Technical Committee