Their positive career development, increased professional network, and improved competences, show the benefit of following an academic programme at the Institute.
To celebrate the accomplishments of its alumni, the Institute launched the annual Alumni Award that was given for the first time in 2013.
The IHE Delft Alumni Award will be given to a Diploma alumna/us who has proven to be a role model for other water professionals, by demonstrating the impact of her/his work in a water related field, to improve people's quality of life.
In 2018, IHE Delft rectorate has encourage the younger generation of alumni - those who have graduated in the last 10 years - to share their experiences and achievements and actively participate in the award as well as the female alumni community to take a more active role.
We hope to receive an exceptional number of nominations, to give us a good choice of applicants for the 2020 Alumni award.
Think about your alumni friends, former classmates, colleagues who are worthy of the distinction, or consider nominating yourself. Do you know an alumna/us who meets the criteria and deserves to win the award or are you proud of your own achievements that can inspire other professionals and would like to nominate yourself?
If the answer is yes, we would like to invite you to share your experiences with us by filling out the registration form, including a motivation letter and CV for the Alumni Award 2020.
The call for nomination will be open until 20 June 2020. In September 2020 the awarded alumna/us will be announced.
The award winner will be granted a one week visit to the Netherlands to follow a tailor-made programme and to attend the Award Ceremony that will take place at IHE Delft in October 2020, as part of the annual celebration of IHE Delft Alumni Day and Opening of the Academic Year. This obviously depends on the status of the Coronavirus (Covid-19) by then, which will be known nearer the time. Shortlisted alumni will be interviewed and their stories will be published on the IHE Delft website and disseminated through different alumni channels. Every year the jury faces the difficult challenge of selecting one candidate among all the highly qualified alumni who are nominated. As a result of that, in 2016 we started to conduct interviews (by skype or phone) with the shortlisted alumni, so that we can include their accounts of the impact of their work on our website and through social media channels.
Guidelines Alumni Award
When nominating a candidate, it is important to explain why you feel that this person, or yourself, should be eligible for the Alumni Award 2019. Alumni who have been nominated previously can be re-nominated.
Nominations for the alumni award 2020 can be sent from now until 20 June 2020.
The award winner will be granted a one week visit to the Netherlands to follow a tailor-made programme and to attend the IHE Delft Alumni Award Ceremony at the Institute in October 2020, as part of the annual celebration of the Institute Alumni Day and the opening of the Academic Year. Shortlisted alumni will be interviewed and their stories will be published on IHE Delft website and disseminated through different alumni channels.
Award Ceremony 2020
The award ceremony will take place on the annual celebration of the Alumni Day and the opening of the Academic Year at IHE Delft.
15 October | 17.30 hrs
IHE Delft Auditorium
Westvest 7, Delft
Rules & Regulations
- The Selection Committee is authorized to select a candidate. The Selection Committee consists of a member of the Rectorate, the Alumni Officer, a Communication Officer, a Professor, a Lecturer, an alumna/us working at IHE Delft a PhD fellow and an MSc student.
- Alumni working at IHE Delft are not eligible to receive the alumni award.
- It is not possible to share the prize.
To be eligible for this award, candidates:
- must be IHE Delft or UNESCO-IHE Delft Diploma alumna/us that have obtained an academic title (Postgraduate Diploma, MEng, MSc or PhD) at IHE Delft or UNESCO-IHE Delft.
- must be able to demonstrate the impact of her/his work in a water related field to improve people’s quality of life.
- must have been a proven role model for other alumni and other water professionals.
- must have been a worthy ambassador of IHE or UNESCO-IHE Delft.
- preferably, have demonstrated a progressive and/or innovative approach to developments in the water field.
- Nominate an alumna/alumnus by filling out the online form or
- Nominate yourself by filling out the online form and mention 2 references and their email addresses
- Describe the achievements of the alumna/us or yourself in a motivation letter of 500 words (place, action, impact). If you are nominating yourself, spell out your achievements proudly - you are up against stiff competition! Do not just send in your CV - it will be dismissed without a motivation letter.
- Submit the form
- After submission of the form a confirmation will be sent
- A member of the selection committee can contact the nominator or references to request for extra information
- The winner will be informed in September to arrange logistics for the awarding ceremony
Previous alumni award winners
2019 | Prof. Alvaro Carmo Vaz | Alumnus from Mozambique | Director of Consultec, Professor at the Faculty of Engineering at Eduardo Mondlane University and former Dean
2018 | Ms. Tatiana dos Santos Silva | Alumna from Brazil | Co-Founder and currently Projects Director at FA.VELA, member of the Youth Water Network and Youth Delegate at the World Water Council for the period 2016 – 2018.
2017 | Dr. Arie Setiadi Moerwanto | Alumnus from Indonesia | Director General of Highway Engineering at the Ministry of Public Works and Housing in Indonesia and former Director Water Resource Management
2016 | Prof. Seifeldin Hamad Abdalla | Alumnus from Sudan | Former Minister of Water Resources
2015 | Ms. Irish Frida Josh | Alumna from Argentinia | National Director of Hydraulic Projects and Public Works for the Undersecretary of Water Resources
2014 | Dr. Okurut | Alumnus from Uganda | Executive Director at the National Environment Management Authority of Uganda
2013 | Mr. Michael Mutale | Alumnus from Zambia | Executive Secretary at Zambezi Watercourse Commission (ZAMCOM) and coordinator of the Global Water Partnership for Southern African Regional Technical Committee