Charlotte de Fraiture has over 20 years of international working experience in the field of water management for agriculture. During the first five years of her career, she was involved in implementation and management of irrigation and rural development projects in Senegal and Nepal. She worked for the International Water Management Institute (IWMI) from 1996 to 2011 based in Colombia, Sri Lanka, Ghana and Burkina Faso. She was involved in several research projects related to watershed development, irrigation performance, irrigation management transfer and modeling of global water supply and demand, leading the development and application of the global water and food model. This model was applied for global future scenarios on water, food and the environment as part of the Comprehensive Assessment on Water Management in Agriculture. She was project leader of several research projects, among others a large BMGF funded project on identifying promising options for smallholder water management in Ghana, Burkina Faso, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Zambia and India. Besides research she fulfilled several management tasks, being Head of Office of the West-Africa office, Theme Leader and Group Head. Since January 2012 she joined IHE Delft as professor of Land and Water Development.
She holds a PhD in Civil Engineering (specialization Water Resources Management) from the University of Colorado in Boulder-USA, a MA in economics from the University of Colorado in Boulder-USA and a MSc in irrigation water engineering from Wageningen University, the Netherlands.
Visit Charlotte de Fraiture's profile on Google Scholar
- De Fraiture, C.; M. Giordano. 2013. Smallholder private irrigation, a thriving but overlooked sector. Agricultural Water Management. Special Issue on Small Private Irrigation. In press. Available online: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378377413001868
- Giordano, M. ; C. de Fraiture. 2013. Investing in small private irrigation. Agricultural Water Management. Special Issue on Small Private Irrigation. In press. Available online: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.agwat.2013.07.003
- De Fraiture, C. ; H. Sally, G. Ndanga, P. Kabore, 2013. Pirates or pioneers: the unintended way of using water from small reservoirs in Burkina Faso. Agricultural Water Management. Special Issue on Small Private Irrigation. In press. Available online: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.agwat.2013.07.001
- Namara, R.E.; E. Owusu, L. Hope; C. de Fraiture; D.Owosu. 2013. The use of water lifting devices in Ghana: opportunities and challenges. Agricultural Water Management. Special Issue on Small Private Irrigation. In press.
- Venot, J.; C. de Fraiture, E. Nti Acheampong.2012. Revisiting Dominant Notions: A review Costs, Performance and Institutions of Small Reservoirs in sub-Saharan Africa. IWMI Research Report 145: International Water Management Institute: Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Kamwamba-Mtethiwa, J., Namara, R., De Fraiture, C., Mangisoni, J., Owusu, E. 2012 Treadle Pump Irrigation in Malawi: Adoption, Gender and Benefits. Irrigation and Drainage 61(5): 583-595
- Aditi Mukherji, Thierry Facon, Charlotte de Fraiture, David Molden and Colin Chartres . 2012 Growing more food with less water: how can revitalizing Asia's irrigation help? Water Policy 14 (3) , pp. 430-446
- De Fraiture, C.; D. Molden; D. Wichelns. 2010. Investing in water for food, ecosystems and livelihoods. Agricultural Water Management 97(4): 495–501
- De Fraiture, C.; D. Wichelns. 2010. Scenarios for meeting future water challenges in food production. Agricultural Water Management 97(4): 502–511
- Molden, David; de Fraiture, C. (Eds.). 2010. Comprehensive Assessment of Water Management in Agriculture. Agricultural Water Management, 97(4):493-578. (Special issue).
- Zwart, Sander J., Wim G.M. Bastiaanssen, Charlotte de Fraiture and David J. Molden . 2010. WATPRO: A remote sensing based model for mapping water productivity of wheat. Agricultural Water Management. 97 (2010) 1628–1636.
- Zwart, Sander J., Wim G.M. Bastiaanssen, Charlotte de Fraiture and David J. Molden . 2010. A global benchmark map of water productivity for rainfed and irrigated wheat. Agricultural Water Management. 97 (2010) 1617–1627
- Marjanizadeh, S.; C. de Fraiture; W. Loiskandl. 2010. Food and Water Scenarios for Karkheh River Basin to 2025. Water International 35(4): 409-424
- Malin Falkenmark , Charlotte de Fraiture and Margaret J. Vick. 2009. Global change in four semi-arid transnational river basins: Analysis of institutional water sharing preparedness. Natural Resources Forum 33: 310–319
- Abdullaev, I. , C de Fraiture, M. Giordano, M. Yakubov, A. Rasulov. 2009. Agricultural Water Use and Trade in Uzbekistan: Situation and potential impacts of WTO and free trade. Water Resources Development 25(1): 47-63 (March 2009)
- Liao, Y. , C. de Fraiture and M. Giordano. 2008. The impact of China’s WTO accession on its agricultural water use. Global Governance 14(2008): 503-521
- Nangia, V. , C de Fraiture, H. Turral and D. Molden. 2008. Water Quality Implications of Raising Crop Water Productivity. Agricultural Water Management. 95(7):825-835.
- De Fraiture, C; Y, Liao, M, Giordano. 2008. Biofuels and agricultural water use: blue impacts of green energy. Water Policy Vol 10 No S1 pp 67-81
- Molden, D, C. de Fraiture and F. Rijsberman. 2007. Water scarcity: the food factor. Issues in Science and Technology. Summer 2007. National Academy of Science
- De Fraiture, C.; V. Smakhtin, D. Bossio, P. McCornick, C.T. Hoanh, A. Noble, D. Molden, F. Gichuki, M. Giordano, M. Finlayson, H. Turral. 2007. Facing climate change by securing water for food, livelihoods and ecosystems. Journal of Semi-Arid Tropical Agricultural Research. 4(1) 12p.
- Liao, Y. M. Giordano, C. de Fraiture. 2007. An empirical analysis of the impacts of irrigation pricing reforms in China. Water Policy 9(S1): 45–60
- Cai, X., C. de Fraiture and M. Hejazi. 2007. Retrieve Irrigated and Rainfed Crop Data Using a General Maximum Entropy Approach. Irrigation Science 25: 325-338
- De Fraiture, C.. 2007. Integrated water and food analysis at the global and basin level. An application of WATERSIM. Water Resources Management 21: 185-198
- Amarasinghe, U, B. Sharma, N. Aloysius, C. Scott, V. Smakthin, C. de Fraiture, A.K. Sinha and A.K. Sukla. 2005. Spatial variation in water supply and demand across river basins of India. IWMI Research Report 83. IWMI: Colombo, Sri Lanka
- De Fraiture, C., X. Cai, U. Amarasinghe, M. Rosegrant and D. Molden. 2004. Does cereal trade save water? The impact of virtual water trade on global water use. IWMI-CA Research Report 4.
- De Fraiture, C., X. Cai, M. Rosegrant, D. Molden and U .Amarasinghe. 2003. Addressing the unanswered questions in global water policy: a methodology framework. Irrigation and Drainage 52(1): 21-30.
- De Fraiture, C., D. Molden and U .Amarasinghe, I Makin. 2001. Podium: Projecting water supply and demand for food production in 2025. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth (B. Hydrology Oceans and Atmosphere) 26(11/12): 869-876
- Barker, R.; Scott, C. A.; de Fraiture C.; Amarasinghe, U. 2000. Global water shortages and the challenge facing Mexico. International Journal of Water Resources Development, 16(4):525-542.
- Sakthivadivel, R.; de Fraiture, C.; Molden, D. J.; Perry, C.; Kloezen, W. 1999. Indicators of land and water productivity in irrigated agriculture. International Journal of Water Resources Development, 15(1/2):161-179.
- Malik, R.P.S.; de Fraiture, C. Ray, D. 2013. Technologies for Smallholder Irrigation Appropriate for Whom – Promoters or Beneficiaries? In Bolay, J., Hostettler, S., Hazboun, E. (eds.). Technologies for Sustainable Development: A Way to Reduce Poverty. London, UK: Springer-Verlag. In press. http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-3-319-00639-0_7
- Lundqvist, J. C de Fraiture, D. Molden. 2012. Saving Water: from field to fork curbing losses and wastage in the food chain. In: Flores (Ed). A Sustentabilidade ambiental em suas multiplas faces.Millenium Editora: Campinas, Brazil.
- Mukherji, Aditi; Facon, T.; Molden D, Vithanage M, de Fraiture C, Faures JM, Finlayson M, Gordon L, Molle F, Peden D and Stentiford D (2011) Water Availability and Its Use in Agriculture. In: Peter Wilderer (ed.) Treatise on Water Science, vol. 4, pp. 707–732 Oxford: Academic Press.
- De Fraiture, C.; 2010 Balancing global agricultural water supply and demand. In: OECD (2010), Challenges for Agricultural Research, OECD Publishing pp 32-42
- De Fraiture, C. G. Berndes. 2009. Biofuels and water. Chapter 8 In: Biofuels: Environmental Consequences and Interactions with Changing Land Use; R.W. Howarth and S. Bringezu, editors.
- Mateete Bekunda, Cheryl A. Palm, Charlotte de Fraiture, Paul Leadley, Luc Maene, Luiz A. Martinelli, Jeff McNeely, Martina Otto, N. H. Ravindranath, Reynaldo L., Helen Watson, Jeremy Wood. 2009. Biofuels in developing countries. Chapter 15 In: Biofuels: Environmental Consequences and Interactions with Changing Land Use; R.W. Howarth and S. Bringezu, editors.
- Robert W. Howarth,Stefan Bringezu, Mateete Bekunda, Charlotte de Fraiture, Luc Maene, Luiz Martinelli, and Osvaldo Sala. 2009. Rapid Assessment on Biofuels and Environment: Overview and Key Findings. In: Biofuels: Environmental Consequences and Interactions with Changing Land Use; R.W. Howarth and S. Bringezu, editors.
- Van Vuuren, P. Ochola, O. and Susan Riha. C. de Fraiture- Contributing author. 2009. Outlook on Agricultural Changes and its Drivers. Chapter 4 in: McIntyre et al. (eds) Agriculture at a crossroad. IAASTD. Island Press Washington DC. contributing author.
- Rosegrant, M.; M. Fernandez; A. Sinha; J. Alder, H. Ahammad, C. De Fraiture; B. Eickhout; J. Fonseca; J. Huang; O. Koyama; A. Mohammed Omezzine; P. Pingali; R. Ramirez; C. Ringler; S. Robinson; P. Thornton; D. van Vuuren; H. Yana-Shapiro. 2009. Looking into the future for agriculture and AKST. Chapter 5 in: McIntyre et al. (eds) Agriculture at a crossroad. IAASTD. Island Press Washington DC.
- De Fraiture, C; L. Karlsberg; J. Rockstrom. 2009. Can rainfed agriculture feed the world? – an assessment of potentials and risks (chapter 9). In: Wani et al. (eds) Unlocking the potential of rainfed agriculture. Wallingford, UK, and Colombo: CABI Publishing and International Water Management Institute.
- De Fraiture, C. and C. Perry. 2007. Why Is Agricultural Water Demand Irresponsive at Low Price Ranges? In: Molle and Berkhoff (eds) Irrigation water pricing: the gap between theory and practice. Wallingford, UK, and Colombo: CABI Publishing and International Water Management Institute.
- De Fraiture, C., D. Wichelns, E. Kemp Benedict, J. Rockstrom. 2007. Scenarios on water for food and environment. In Molden (ed): Water for Food, Water for Life: A Comprehensive Assessment of Water Management in Agriculture. London: Earthscan and Colombo: International Water Management Institute.
- Molden, D, K. Frenken, R. Barker and C. de Fraiture. 2007. Trends in water and agricultural development. Chapter 2 in Water for Food, Water for Life: A Comprehensive Assessment of Water Management in Agriculture. London: Earthscan and Colombo: International Water Management Institute.