For whom?Programme target group
Dates, Fee, ECTS
Start: 03 April 2018
End: 20 April 2018
Deadline IHE application: 02 March 2018 - 23.59 (CET)
Course fee: € 2850
- assess the value of wetlands and explain the use of natural and constructed wetlands for the treatment of wastewater;
- describe the concept of wastewater treatment by wetlands;
- design and operate a wetland treatment system.
Introduction on wetlands: what are wetlands, where are wetlands, and the role of wetlands. The role of wetlands in the catchment area: general aspects, hydrological aspects, wetlands as buffers and the role in relation to climate.
Natural wetlands being used for wastewater treatment: the basic principles, the advantages and disadvantages, the risks. Examples in a temperate climate and examples in the tropics.Constructed wetlands for wastewater treatment: the different types, the design and criteria for design. Advantages and disadvantages. The Dutch situation, case studies in the tropics.
Waste stabilisation ponds. Integrated production systems: examples, advantages, disadvantages, economics, nutrient flows. Modelling of integrated production systems. Field visits.
- Makerere University, Uganda
- University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- Czech Republic