For whom?Graduates from civil, coastal engineering, involved in the design, construction and supervision or breakwaters
PrerequisitesBasic knowledge of the coastal processes such as short waves and tides
Dates, Fee, ECTS
Start: 22 March 2021
End: 02 April 2021
Deadline IHE application: 21 February 2021 - 23.59 (CET)
Course fee: € 2000
VAT is not included in the course fee
- Determine the governing factors and design conditions for design of breakwaters;
- Choose the optimal type of breakwater in a specific situation;
- Design the crest level based on allowable wave overtopping or transmission;
- Design breakwaters from conceptual to detailed and prepare the detailed cross-sections;
- Design a physical scale model to test the design of breakwaters or coastal structures;
This course is delivered by world–renowned Professor Jentsje van der Meer. He will share his valuable experience with the participants and teach them state of the art methods to design breakwaters amongst others based on the newly published literature such as “EurTop 2018 edition” and “Design and Construction of Berm Breakwaters”. Participants will receive a softcopy of both books at the beginning of the course.
This course includes a real case assignment, participants will design a breakwater under the supervision of the lecturers and will present and discuss their design on the last day of the course.