Through the Distance Learning Centre the Institute is able to participate in many new learning opportunities. By bringing together a virtual community of public administration and development professionals to share their knowledge and experiences, and promoting the immediate application of new insights and techniques, the network can facilitate change in institutional operations and culture.
The Learning Centre offers studio facilities and services to support meetings for knowledge exchange and other activities, including courses, seminars and workshops. All of these activities combine a number of methods and technologies.
The Learning Centre’s video conferencing studio facilities enable participants to see and hear, engage in dialogue with, and connect with people around the world in effective, timely and interactive knowledge exchanges. As in any other meeting, dialogue or learning activity, good planning and facilitation can contribute substantially to the success of a video conference.
Since interactions takes place across large distances, different time zones, and within limited periods, it is important that the exchanges are interactive and that participants feel they can make substantial contributions to the discussions.
Computers and the Internet
Beyond the videoconferencing sessions, participants can continue to interact, share information and resources using the studio’s computers and the Internet. Dedicated websites can be used to make available presentations, supplementary reading materials, and other resources, which participants can download before, during or after sessions.
Distance learning and multimedia production
The studio at IHE Delft is equipped with:
- Seating for up to 35 people;
- Videoconferencing facilities connecting sites worldwide;
- 12 laptop computers with internet and wireless LAN access during a session;
- Teleconferencing equipment;
- Simultaneous use of computer programmes, video and live (internet) interaction;
- Visual and audio links to IHE Delft’s auditorium (268 seats);
- Multipoint connectivity to the GDLN network and other videoconferencing centres worldwide;
- Four professional video cameras, two projection screens and a wireless sound system;
- State-of-the-art editing and webcasting studio;
- Equipment that supports DVD, DV, Digital S, Super VHS, CD-Rom, and other formats;
- An in-house studio manager.
The studio supports a combination of dialogue and learning possibilities, including:
- Distance teaching
- Promotional films
- DVD productions
- Internet streaming media
- Live webcasting
- The development of (pre-)recorded video products in a wide range of formats.
IHE Delft’s studio team offers support in: directing (advice), designing, producing and editing sessions, registering meetings, logistic support and overall facilitation. Catering for participants in the session can also be arranged.
All logistic, pedagogical and facilitation support needed to ensure the success of an activity is available, either through IHE Delft staff or through contacts in the local development community. Local facilitators and translators can provide substantial support to the design and delivery of an activity.