Eldon's research majorly focuses on topics related to the development of biological treatment processes for wastewater and waste-gas treatment, non-point source pollution prevention, resource recovery from waste gases, the use of artificial intelligence tools for environmental monitoring, environmental process control and eco-industrial parks. He has authored two books on Sustainable Heavy Metal Remediation (Vols. 1 and 2, published in 2017) and he currently serves as the managing editor for Reviews in Environmental Science and Bio/technology (Springer) and as an associate editor of the Journal of Environmental Engineering (ASCE). He is also the two time recipient of the ‘’Young Scientist Award’’ conferred by the Challenges in Environmental Science and Engineering conference organizers in Sydney (Australia) and Kaohsiung (Taiwan), respectively. In 2007, he was awarded the ‘’Juan de la Cierva’’ fellowship by the Ministry of Science and Innovation (Spain). Eldon has also edited special (thematic) issues and volumes in the following journals: Bioresource Technology, International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation, ASCE-Journal of Environmental Engineering and the Journal of Hazardous Materials. He is a life member at the International Bioprocessing Association (IBA).
Research interests include:
- Resource recovery from wastewater and waste gases
- Bioenergy and waste-to-energy processes
- Development of hybrid and novel bioreactors
- Air pollution prevention and control technologies
- Application of artificial intelligence techniques for environmental bioprocesses
- Industrial resource management and cleaner production
1) Sustainable Heavy Metal Remediation: Vol 1: Principles and Processes
2) Sustainable Heavy Metal Remediation: Vol 2: Case Studies
- Potysz, A., Lens, P.N.L., van de Vossenberg, J., Rene, E.R., Grybos, M., Guibaud, G., Kierczak, J., van Hullebusch, E.D (2016) Comparison of Cu, Zn and Fe bioleaching from Cu-metallurgical slags in the presence of Pseudomonas fluorescens and Acidithiobacillus thiooxidans. Applied Geochemistry, 68, 39-52.
- Sethurajan, M., Lens, P.N.L., Rene, E.R., van de Vossenberg, J., Huguenot, D., Horn, H.A., Figueiredo, L.H.A., van Hullebusch, E.D (2016) Bioleaching and selective biorecovery of zinc from zinc metallurgical leach residues from the Tres Marias zinc plant (Minas Gerais, Brazil). Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, 92, 3, 512-521.
- Erika J. Espinosa-Ortiz, Eldon R. Rene, Francois Guyot, Eric D. van Hullebusch, Piet N. L. Lens (2017) Biomineralization of tellurium and selenium-tellurium nanoparticles by the white-rot fungus Phanerochaete chrysosporium. International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation, 124, 258-266.
- M. Estefania Lopez, Eldon R. Rene, Zvi Boger, Maria C. Veiga, Christian Kennes (2017) Modelling the removal of volatile pollutants under transient conditions in a two-stage bioreactor using artificial neural networks. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 324, 100-109.
- Chiara Cassarini, Eldon R. Rene, Susma Bhattarai, Giovanni Esposito, Piet N. L. Lens (2017) Anaerobic oxidation of methane coupled to thiosulfate reduction in a biotrickling filter. Bioresource Technology, 240, 214-222.
- Adhena Ayaliew Werkneh, Eldon R. Rene and Piet N. L. Lens (2017) Simultaneous removal of selenite and phenol from wastewater in an upflow fungal pellet bioreactor. Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology (In Press).
- Susma Bhattarai, Chiara Cassarini, Zita Naangmenyele, Eldon R. Rene, Graciela Gonzalez-Gil, Giovanni Esposito and Piet N. L. Lens (2017) Microbial sulfate reducing activities in anoxic sediment from Marine Lake Grevelingen: screening of electron donors and acceptors. Limnology (In Press).