Soil and Hyrdology research (SHR) at Al-Quds University (AQU) are seeking a candidate for a two-year period post-doctoral position for the KidronNar Project.
The post doc is expected to develop an integrated basin-wide wastewater management plan, based upon application of decentralised wastewater treatment and reuse in parts of the basin, advocated to planners and decision makers. The problem can be considered at the international, national, town, neighbourhood and house level.
Additionally, the post doc will focus on the development of a methodology to decide the optimal spatial configuration of treatment solutions (centralised plants (CP), decentralised plants (DP) and their combinations), at various sub-catchment scales (neighbourhood and town). Optimal configurations will take into account the current plans of urban expansion and future infrastructure developments regarding sewage networks. In addition, the optimal number and locations of the treatment plants will be found for the case of decentralised solutions.
In principle, the objective functions to consider are:
- Maximise the coverage of treatment solutions in the area
- Minimise the total costs of operation and maintenance of the whole system
- Maximise the opportunity cost for water reuse
The required inputs to the method to develop are, in principle:
- Topography maps (elevations)
- City maps (roads) and expansion areas
- Land use maps, land use plans (location of industries, agricultural area, parks, green areas, etc)
- Current sewage network, current area of service
Further details of our research group can be found here.
(Read more on the KidronNar project here)
The candidate will have experience and training in at least two areas of proven experience in sewerage, wastewater treatment and planning of infrastructure, interest in mathematical modeling to support planning and decision making as well as a strong background in programming and modelling. The candidate shall show an interest in working in a multidisciplinary international project team (economists, social scientists and environmental scientists).
Applicants should send a 1-2 page resume that details their qualifications, relevant experience and list of journal publications, together with the contact information of at least two referees. Information should be addressed to Dr. Jawad A.H Shoqeir at . A review of applications will begin on the 1st of May and continue until position is filled.
- PhD in Civil Engineering or Environmental Engineering or similar field
- Proven experience in sewerage, wastewater treatment and planning of infrastructure
- Interest in mathematical modeling to support planning and decision making
- Interest in working in a multidisciplinary international project team, with a.o. economists, social scientists and environmental scientists
- Willingness to international travel