The overall thrust of the Environmental Engineering and Water Technology Department is urbanization as one of the dominant global processes. Although urbanization offers enormous opportunities for socio-economic development, it also presents major challenges for the equitable and sustainable development of drinking water and sanitation infrastructure and services. Within this context the Environmental Engineering and Water Technology Department helps to build the necessary human resources and higher education and research capacities through postgraduate education, training, research and other capacity building activities in the fields of water supply, sanitation and resource recovery. The department consists of three chair groups, namely, Water Supply Engineering, Sanitary Engineering and Pollution Prevention and Resource Recovery, each headed by a professor. The department intends to recruit a Secretary of Department (m/f) - 0.53 FTE (20 hours per week).
Providing general secretarial and administrative support to the department, including:
handling phone calls, e-mails and correspondences;
- planning of meetings and sending invitations;
- preparing agendas, taking minutes of meetings and giving follow-up to action points;
- information management (archiving, maintaining address database, maintaining departmental project database, maintaining staff, PhD and visitors list etc.);
- assisting Head/Deputy Head of Department in daily management and communication in department
- administrative support to project execution, mission requests and declarations, on-line courses and MSc thesis defences;
- assisting in booking hotels for the international fieldtrips, VIP tours and visitors;
- assisting Expat staff in practical matters.
- secretary diploma;
- ability to work independently;
- team-worker with the ability to work in an international and multicultural environment;
- excellent computer skills: MS Office, Lotus Notes, Internet Explorer, etc.;
- close-to-native proficiency of the English language. Dutch, French and Spanish are an asset;
- excellent social, communication and coordination skills;
- flexible working attitude.
Terms of employment
This position is, in principle, a permanent one, however, the first two contracts offered are always temporary, and only after this period a permanent contract will be considered. The position is based in Delft, The Netherlands. A competitive salary (starting scale 5/end scale 6) is offered depending on qualifications and experience in accordance with the conditions of employment for Dutch Universities. The appointment implies entry into the Netherlands' Civil Service Pension Fund (ABP).
Information and application
Additional information about the vacancy can be obtained from Dr. Saroj Sharma, Deputy Head of Environmental Engineering and Water Technology Department (+31 15 215 1772 or ). Applications in English can be sent by 14 June 2013 (closing date) including curriculum vitae, motivation letter and the names and contact details of two contactable referees (as one PDF file with your family name as the filename), to IHE Delft, attn. Human Resources Management (E: ), PO Box 3015, 2601 DA Delft, The Netherlands, stating vacancy-number 13-EEWT-04.