This SWM short course is especially for junior and mid-career professionals at the management, decision-making and educational level, related to waste handling, urban infrastructure and urban environmental management. In addition, it's also relevant for engineers and planners dealing with promoting, designing, operating or managing solid waste systems, in low-income countries or countries in transition.
Involved, or interested in one or more of the key elements of solid waste management.
Dates, Fee, ECTS
Start: 29 June 2020
End: 17 July 2020
ECTS credit points: 5
Deadline IHE application: 28 May 2020 - 23.59 (CET)
Course fee: € 2910
Start: 28 June 2021
End: 16 July 2021
Deadline IHE application: 27 May 2021 - 23.59 (CET)
Course fee: € 2910
VAT is not included in the course fee
- Present an overview of the steps of solid waste management from generation to final use/disposal
- Select the most suitable solid waste management options in a specific local context
- Conceptually design waste conversion/treatment processes
- Assess the environmental impact of solid waste management options and criticize the results
- Assess the economic impact of solid waste management options and criticize the results
- Develop innovative solutions of solid waste management in urban areas
- Introduction to SWM: Waste quantity and quality, generation of waste per capita and region; composition of waste; small scale industry waste; organanic agricultural waste;
- Waste Collection and Transport: Collection of mixed waste or of source seperated waste, collection logistics, transfer stations; machine park planning; Sub-contractors;
- Treatment/disposal Technologies: dumping, sanitary landfills, mechanical-biological treatment, incineration, anaerobic digestion, composting; recycling of plastics, batteries, e-waste, Green House Gas emission and emision modeling, CDM, energy recovery;
- Financial, Social and Institutional aspects: costs of collection, seperation, management; equipment costs; social costs, stake holders, scavengers, public health issues, policy and legislation.