Thematic Alumni Events is a new initiative that take place in different continents with the financial support of Nuffic to increase alumni knowledge as well as to reinforce their professional network. The events aim to stimulate set-up and maintenance of thematic networks and create clear links between Nuffic, alumni, relevant (Dutch) educational institutions and relevant (Dutch) organizations. Moreover, they give all attendees an opportunity to mutually benefit from each other.
The thematic events are typically two or three days long. The programme includes thematic sessions, group discussions, network activities, an alumni gathering and a final ceremony where certificates of attendance are awarded.
The Thematic Alumni Events are open to alumni who have studied in the Netherlands with NFP scholarships and are living/working in the countries of the course and region.
- Facilitate exchange of experiences among alumni from different countries facing similar issues and problems in their professional capacities;
- Enhance and strengthen relationships among these alumni, and between them, IHE Delft, Nuffic, alumni, relevant (Dutch) educational institutions and relevant (Dutch) organizations;
- Stimulate the development of thematic networks on water, logistics and agri & food to connect Holland Alumni, Dutch Higher Education institutions, businesses and other relevant organisations worldwide;
- Adapt and improve the approaches and contents of courses held at IHE Delft on the basis of the experiences and practices of professionals working in developing countries; and
- Explore opportunities for establishing and strengthening local and regional knowledge centres that are part of regional and global networks for capacity building in the water, environment and infrastructure sectors.
The Government of the Netherlands has made full Scholarships for a minimum of 20 participants available for each Thematic Alumni Event.
Note: the scholarship for Thematic Alumni Events, it is not an NFP fellowship. Because of that alumni are able to apply for NFP fellowshiop to follow a Refresher Course, Short Course, Online Course or other programme.
The Thematic Alumni Events Scholarship includes:
- train or bus or air travel (economy class) from the nearest international airport from the candidate’s home country to the thematic alumni event country or place and vice versa.
- transfer from the airport to hotel and vice versa.
- direct visa costs (no related costs, such as travel costs to the Embassy or hotel stay are refunded). The visa costs can only be reimbursed when the original receipts are handed in.
- health insurance for international participants
- accommodation, including meals, for the duration of the event.
You can apply for scholarship if you meet the following criteria. You:
- are a national of, and work and live in a selected NFP countries
- received your Postgraduate Diploma course, Master of Engineering, Master of Science or PhD degree or attended a short course or online course at IHE Delft ot other Dutch Educational Institution.
- studied on an NFP, NPT, NICHE or MENA fellowship
- Select the thematic Alumni event you would like to enroll
- Once you have chosen your preferred course, visit the page of the event.
- Read the complete information of the event and apply accessing the online application form through the 'apply here" button.
- Important! Register using the email address where you have received the invitation to the course sent by IHE Delft. In case you have not received the invitation by email, send before registering your new email address to
- Fill out the form and upload your CV and a copy of your passport.
- Submit your information. IHE Delft will now receive your information digitally.
- You will automatically apply for scholarship, IHE Delft will handle this.
- After the application deadline, IHE Delft makes a selection of all applicants and sends a proposal to Nuffic. After Nuffic approval, IHE Delft will inform the selected candidates by email. One month before the start of the course, all applicants will be informed about the outcome of the selection.
Thematic Alumni Events in 2017
IHE Delft will organize four Thematic Alumni Events in the first six months of 2017:
La Havana, Cuba | 28 - 29 March 2017
Counterparts: Cujae and IIIA
Malang, Indonesia | Date: 3, 4 and 5 May 2017
Coordinator: Dr. F.X. Suryadi, MSc
Counterpart: Brawijaya University
Open to alumni working and living in Indonesia or Viet Nam.
Sri Lanka | 27 - 28 July 2017
Coordinator: Dr. Assela Phatirana
Counterparts: Ministry of Megapolis and Western Development, Central Engineering Consultancy Bureau and Department of Coast Conservation and Coastal Resource Management
Open to alumni working and living in Sri Lanka.
Registration open now until 31 May 2017 (23.59 CET)
Bogota, Colombia | 13 - 14 June 2017
Counterpart: Netherlands Alumni Association of Colombia, Holland House and ARP
Open to alumni working and living in Colombian and Peru.
Registration extended until 17 May 2017 (23.59 CET)