Since 1957 the Institute has provided water education and training to more than 23,000 professionals from over 190 countries, the vast majority from Africa, Asia and Latin America. Also, numerous research and institutional strengthening projects are carried out in partnership to strengthen capacity in the water sector worldwide. Through our overarching work on capacity development, IHE Delft aims to make a tangible contribution to achieving all Sustainable Development Goals in which water is key.
IHE Delft in a nutshell
In the latest edition of Highlights we look back on key moments of the past year and the people and stories behind our work.
Read more on who we are, what we do and our unique position in the international water sector.
IHE Delft and the Sustainable Development Goals
Through our overarching work on capacity development, IHE Delft aims to make a tangible contribution to achieving all Sustainable Development Goals in which water is key, including SDG 6: Clean Water and Sanitation.
Innovations booklet, 2nd edition
To celebrate the 60th anniversary of IHE Delft in 2017, we have selected 60 examples of innovation to feature in this second edition of the Innovations booklet. An important aspect of our innovation, and indeed of much of the activity at the Institute, is that ideas are created with our global partnership network to develop, implement and validate novel solutions that ultimately aim to improve the quality of life on our planet.
IHE Delft Annual Reports
The Annual Reports give an overview of the Institute's activities in a given year. They also include several annexes with data and statistics.
IHE Delft operates as a Foundation under Dutch law, working under the auspices of UNESCO as a Category 2 centre. The Institute cooperates closely with the UNESCO Secretariat, the Science Sector and the International Hydrological Programme (IHP).
IHE Delft is a foundation with an ANBI status. An ANBI status makes it possible to make donations that may be tax deductible. Read more here.
Beneficiaries & clients
IHE Delft provides a wide range of services to a variety of target groups in developing countries and countries in transition:
- Education, training and scientific research – for water sector professionals, engineers, scientists, consultants and decision-makers working in the water and environment sectors.
- Water sector capacity development – for water sector ministries and departments, municipalities, water boards and water utilities, universities, training and research institutes, industries, non-governmental and private sector organisations.
- Partnership building and networking – among knowledge centres, public and private sector organisations.
- Standard setting for education and training – for water-related institutions, universities and other education and training agencies in the water sector.
IHE Delft’s campus is located in the centre of Delft. The premises, comprising three interconnected buildings, cover an area of 14,000 square metres, extending from the main entrance of the new building on Westvest 7, to the historic buildings of Oude Delft 95 and 93 along one of Delft’s main canals.
The Institute offers a wide range of facilities:
- Four modern teaching and research laboratories: aquatic ecology, microbiology process and analytical laboratories;
- A library with online connections to a worldwide network of libraries, and a reading room containing many international journals and magazines;
- Multifunctional lecture theaters and a fully equipped auditorium that seats 300;
- Extensive ICT facilities, including a studio with videoconferencing facilities;
- Innovative learning tools, including smart boards, WiFi and remote access to all digital resources
- A restaurant offering a wide variety of meals and snacks;
- An in-house prayer and meditation room;
- Where possible, residential accommodation equipped with computers, internet connections and other facilities.
Reports and general conditions
- Research quality report of IHE Delft
- General terms and conditions of Stichting IHE Delft
- Sustainability statement of IHE Delft
- Annual reports from previous years can be found here.