Diploma alumni, including those who have graduated in the past decade, who have helped improve quality of life through their work and inspired others to make an impact are suitable candidates for the award.
Do you or your alumni friends, former classmates or colleagues fit the profile? Consider nominating yourself or someone else by filling out the registration form, including a motivation letter and CV by 20 June 2022. A committee will select a winner and announce its decision in September 2022. Nominations should include a strong motivation as to why the candidate is a suitable winner. Alumni who have been nominated previously can be re-nominated.
The award winner will be invited to travel to the Netherlands for a one-week visit in October 2022, with travel and accommodation costs covered. The winner will follow a tailor-made programme and be honoured at an Alumni Award Ceremony that forms part of the annual IHE Delft Alumni Day and Opening of the Academic Year celebration.
Nominee criteria and process
To be eligible for this award, nominations:
- must be for IHE Delft or UNESCO-IHE Delft Diploma alumna/us that have obtained an academic title (Postgraduate Diploma, MEng, MSc or PhD) at IHE Delft or UNESCO-IIHE
- in case of self-nominations, must include two references with email addresses
- must include a nomination letter (up to 500 words) that should include information and concrete examples that show how the nominee has made a significant impact in a water related field to improve people’s quality of life.
- should include information and concrete examples that show how the nominee is a role model for other alumni and other water professionals.
- should preferably also include information and concrete examples that show how the nominee has demonstrated a progressive and/or innovative approach to developments in the water field.
- must be submitted through the form link by 20 June 2022.
- An automatic confirmation email will be sent to nominators. The selection committee may contact the nominator or references to seek additional information. The winner will be informed in September to arrange logistics for the awarding ceremony.
Rules and regulations
- The Selection Committee that chooses the winner comprises a Rectorate representative, the Alumni Relations Officer, a Communication or Liaison Officer, an IHE Delft Professor, a IHE Delft Lecturer, an alumna/us working at IHE Delft, a PhD candidate and an MSc student.
- Alumni working at IHE Delft are not eligible to receive the alumni award.
- The award will be given to one individual. It is not possible to share the prize.
- Nominations should only be sent once per nominating period.
- The committee’s decision is final.
Previous alumni award winners
2021 | Cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic
2020 | Cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic
2019 | Prof. Alvaro Carmo Vaz | Alumnus from Mozambique | Director of Consultec, Professor at the Faculty of Engineering at Eduardo Mondlane University and former Dean
2018 | MSc. Tatiana dos Santos Silva | Alumna from Brazil | Co-Founder and currently Projects Director at FA.VELA, member of the Youth Water Network and Youth Delegate at the World Water Council for the period 2016 – 2018.
2017 | Dr. Arie Setiadi Moerwanto | Alumnus from Indonesia | Director General of Highway Engineering at the Ministry of Public Works and Housing in Indonesia and former Director Water Resource Management
2016 | Prof. Seifeldin Hamad Abdalla | Alumnus from Sudan | Former Minister of Water Resources
2015 | Prof. Irish Frida Josh (deceased) | Alumna from Argentina | National Director of Hydraulic Projects and Public Works for the Undersecretary of Water Resources
2014 | Dr. Tom Okurut | Alumnus from Uganda | Executive Director at the National Environment Management Authority of Uganda
2013 | MSc. Michael Mutale (deceased) | Alumnus from Zambia | Executive Secretary at Zambezi Watercourse Commission (ZAMCOM) and coordinator of the Global Water Partnership for Southern African Regional Technical Committee