Angelica Rada was born in Santa Marta, Colombia. She is a Civil Engineer (2008) form the Universidad Nacional de Colombia (Bogota), and has an MSc in Sanitary Engineering from IHE Delft (2012). She is currently registered as a full-time PhD fellow in the Environmental Engineering & Water Technology department at UNESCO - IHE, Delft, The Netherlands. She started her research in May of 2013, investigating treatment of wastewater using a microalgal- bacterial consortium. She worked in the water and environmental sector for 3 year in Colombia prior her MSc.
TopicPHOTO-ACTIVATED SLUDGE SYSTEM (PAS): A NOVEL ALGAL-BACTERIAL BIOTREATMENT FOR NUTRIENT RICH WASTEWATER
- Rada-Ariza, Maria, A., Lopez-Vazquez, C.M., Van der Steen, N.P., Lens, P.N.L., 2017. Nitrification by microalgal-bacterial consortia for ammonium removal in flat panel sequencing batch photo-bioreactors. Bioresource Technology.
- Arashiro, L.T., Rada-Ariza, A.M., Wang, M., Steen, P. van der, Ergas, S.J., 2016. Modelling shortcut nitrogen removal from wastewater using an algal-bacterial consortium. Water Science and Technology 782–792. https://doi.org/10.2166/wst.2016.561.
- Van der Steen, P., Rahsilawati, K., Rada-Ariza, A.M., Lopez-Vazquez, C.M., Lens, P.N.L., 2015. A new photo-activated sludge system for nitrification by an algal-bacterial consortium in a photo-bioreactor with biomass recycle. Water Sci. Technol. 72, 443–450. https://doi.org/10.2166/wst.2015.205.
- Zalivina N, Keeley R, Arashiro LT, Rada-Ariza A.M., Scott K., Van der Steen P., Ergas S.J. (2017) Effect of Solids Retention Time on Nitrogen Removal and Microbial Consortium in a Novel Algal-Bacterial Shortcut Nitrogen Removal System. Proc Water Environ Fed 2017:225–230. doi: 10.2175/193864717821494213.
- Rada-Ariza, A.M., Lopez-Vazquez C.M, Van der Steen N.P., Lens P.N.L (2017) Respirometric method for determination of microalgae and microalgae-bacteria consortia and microalgae consortia growth kinetics. In: 1st IWA Conference on Algal Technologies for Wastewater Treatment and Resource Recovery, Delft, The Netherlands.
- Arashiro LT, Rada-Ariza A.M., Wang M, et al (2016) Modelling shortcut nitrogen removal from wastewater using an algal-bacterial consortium. In: The 13th IWA Leading Edge Technology conference (LET) on Water and Wastewater technologies, IWA Pub., Jerez de la Frontera, Spain.
- Rada-Ariza AM, Alfonso-Martinez A, Leshem U, et al (2016) Nitrification in Pilot-Scale High Rate Algae Ponds Operated as Sequencing Batch Photo-bioreactors for Anaerobically Treated Domestic Wastewater. In: Innovations in Pond Technology for Achieving Sustainable Wastewater Treatment. IWA Pub., Leeds, U.K.
- Rada-Ariza A., Rahman A, Zalivina N, et al (2015) Sludge Retention Time Effects on Ammonium Removal in a Photo-CSTR Using a Microalgae-Bacteria Consortium. IWA Pub., Gdansk, Poland.
- Rada-Ariza A.M., Torres A., (2011) Preliminary Assessment of the Influence of Salitre Basin Rainfall on the Pumping Operation of Salitre Wastewater Treatment Plant (Bogota). In: the 12th International Conference on Urban Drainage, Porto Alegre, Brazil.
- Rada-Ariza A.M. et al. (2012) Characterization and Evaluation of the Structure of Dissolved Organic Nitrogen in the Effluent of Harnaschpolder Wastewater Treatment Plant, The Netherlands. Thesis, Master of Science at IHE Delft Institute for Water Education, Delft.
- Efficient and reliable removal of N and P from anaerobic effluents using a microalgal-bacterial consortia.
- Determination of kinetic parameters for a microalgal-bacterial consortia.
- Modelling of the microalgal-bacterial consortia for treatment of anaerobic effluents.
- Algae-based treatment for wastewater.
- Activated sludge and granular activated sludge.
- Wastewater treatment modelling.
- Sustainable wastewater treatment.
- Circular economy within the water cycle.
- Departamento Administrativo de Ciencia, Tecnologia e Innovacion, Colciencias.
- Larissa Arashiro (MSc Thesis August 2015) Master student International Master of Science in Environmental Technology and Engineering, 2013-2015, Erasmus Mundus Master Course jointly organized by UGent (Belgium), ICTP (Prague) and IHE Delft (the Netherlands). Algal-bacterial consortia for nitrogen removal from wastewater: Experimental and modeling studies.
- Andres Alfonso Martinez (MSc Thesis April 2015) Master student of Sanitary Engineering, Department of Urban Water and Sanitation, 2013-2015, IHE Delft Nitrification in pilot-scale high rate algae ponds operated as sequencing batch photo-bioreactors for anaerobic effluent treatment.
- Nadezhda Zalivina (MSc Thesis August 2014) Master student International Master of Science in Environmental Technology and Engineering, 2012-2014, Erasmus Mundus Master Course jointly organized by UGent (Belgium), ICTP (Prague) and IHE Delft (the Netherlands). The Effect of SRT and pH on Nitrogen Removal in the Photo-activated Sludge System.
- Afrin Rahman (MSc Thesis April 2014) Master student of Sanitary Engineering, Department of Urban Water and Sanitation, 2012-2014, IHE Delft. Effect of solid retention time (SRT) on nitrification by an algal bacterial consortium in a continuous flow stirred tank photo-bioreactor (photo-CSTR).