Anne van Dam obtained an MSc from Wageningen University in 1986, specializing in aquaculture and fisheries. From 1987 to 1992 he worked for ICLARM (presently the World Fish Center) in the Philippines and in Malawi, Africa in research projects on integrated crop-fish farming. In 1995, he completed his PhD-thesis on a model for growth of Nile tilapia in integrated fishponds. From 1995 to 1999 he was coordinator and fisheries adviser for a university collaboration project in Costa Rica. From 1999 to 2002, he was a researcher in the Aquaulture and Fisheries Group of Wageningen University, involved in research projects on integrated fish production systems and periphyton. In January 2003, he started working as a Senior Lecturer in Environmental and Ecological Modelling at the IHE Delft Institute for Water Education in Delft, The Netherlands, and was appointed Associate Professor of Environmental Systems Analysis in 2008. His main research interests during the past years have been sustainable use of wetlands and modelling of fish production and nutrient flows in wetland ecosystems. He is especially interested in the use of models to study ecosystem functions and services and develop sustainable production systems, and to evaluate ecological, social and economic indicators of sustainability. At IHE Delft, he has been working with partners and students in international projects on wetland management and integrated agriculture-aquaculture systems. He is a co-editor of the Wetlands Book (published by Springer in 2016) and executive editor of the journal Aquaculture Reports (published by Elsevier since 2015). He is also involved in the work of the Scientific and Technical Review Panel (STRP) of the Ramsar Convention on Wetlands.
Areas of interest: production ecology, aquaculture, environmental modelling, wetland management, natural resources management, ecosystem services
- Kipkemboi, J., van Dam A.A. (2016) Papyrus wetlands, In: C.M. Finlayson, G.R. Milton, R.C. Prentice & N.C. Davidson (eds.) The Wetland Book Vol. II: Distribution, Description and Conservation. Dordrecht (The Netherlands): Springer. doi:10.1007/978-94-007-6173-5_218-1
- Janssen ABG, Arhonditsis GB, Beusen A, Bolding K, Bruce L, Bruggeman J, Couture RM, Downing AS, Elliott JA, Frassl MA, Gal G, Gerla DJ, Hipsey MR, Hu F, Ives SC, Janse JH, Jeppesen E, Johnk KD, Kneis D, Kong X, Kuiper JJ, Lehmann MK, Lemmen C, Ozkundakci D, Petzoldt T, Rinke K, Robson BJ, Sachse R, Schep SA, Schmid M, Scholten H, Teurlincx S, Trolle D, Troost TA, van Dam AA, van Gerven LPA, Weijerman M, Wells SA, Mooij WM (2015) Exploring, exploiting and evolving diversity of aquatic ecosystem models: a community perspective. Aquat Ecol 49:513–548. DOI 10.1007/s10452-015-9544-1
- van Dam AA, WC Valenti, W Zhang, B Austin, JAH Benzie, BA Costa-Pierce, AP Farrell, DM Gatlin, G Hulata, DC Little et al. (2015) Introducing: Aquaculture Reports. Editorial, Aquaculture Reports 1, A1-A2. DOI: 10.1016/ j.aqrep.2014.10.001
- Mooij WM, Brederveld B, de Klein JJM, DeAngelis DL, Downing AS, Faber M, Gerla DJ, Hipsey MR, ’t Hoen J, Janse JH, Janssen ABG, Jeuken M, Kooi BW, Lischke B, Petzoldt T, Postma L, Schep SA, Teurlincx S, Thiange C, Trolle D, van Dam AA, van Gerven L, van Nes EH, Kuiper JJ (2014) Serving many at once: how a Database Approach Towards Modelling (DATM) can create unity in dynamical ecosystem modelling. Environmental Modelling & Software 61, 266–273.
- van Dam AA, Kipkemboi J, Mazvimavi D, Irvine K (2014) A synthesis of past, current and future research for protection and management of papyrus (Cyperus papyrus L.) wetlands in Africa. Wetlands Ecology and Management 22, 99–114. DOI 10.1007/s11273-013-9335-1
- Hes, EMA, Ren Niu, AA van Dam (2014) A simulation model for nitrogen cycling in natural rooted papyrus wetlands in East Africa. Wetlands Ecology and Management 22, 157-176. DOI 10.1007/s11273-014-9336-8
- Zsuffa I., van Dam A.A., Kaggwa R.C., Namaalwa S., Mahieu M., Cools J., Johnston R. (2014) Towards decision support-based integrated management planning of papyrus wetlands: a case study from Uganda. Wetlands Ecology and Management 22, 199-213. DOI 10.1007/s11273-013-9329-z
- Rongoei, P.J., J. Kipkemboi, S. Kariuki, A.A. van Dam (2014) Effects of water depth and livelihood activities on plant species composition and diversity in Nyando floodplain wetland, Kenya. Wetlands Ecology and Management 22, 177-189. DOI: 10.1007/s11273-013-9313-7.
- van Dam, A.A., J. Kipkemboi, M.M. Rahman, G.M. Gettel (2013) Linking hydrology, ecosystem function, and livelihood outcomes in African papyrus wetlands using a Bayesian Network model. Wetlands 33, 381-397. DOI: 10.1007/s13157-013-0395-z.
- Rongoei, P.J., J. Kipkemboi, J.B. Okeyo-Owuor, A.A. van Dam (2013) Ecosystem services and drivers of change in Nyando floodplain wetland, Kenya. African Journal of Environmental Science and Technology 7, 274-291.
- Namaalwa, S., A.A. van Dam, A. Funk, G.S. Ajie, R.C. Kaggwa (2013) A characterization of the drivers, pressures, ecosystem functions and services of Namatala wetland, Uganda. Environmental Science and Policy (in press).
- Tran-Duy, A., A.A. van Dam, J.W. Schrama (2012) Feed intake, growth and metabolism of Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) in relation to dissolved oxygen concentration. Aquaculture Research 43, 730–744, DOI:10.1111/j.1365-2109.2011.02882.x
- van Dam, A.A., J. Kipkemboi, A.M. Zaal, J.B. Okeyo-Owuor (2011) The ecology of livelihoods in East African papyrus wetlands (ECOLIVE). Reviews in Environmental Science and Biotechnology 10, 291-300. DOI : 10.1007/s11157-011-9255-6.
- Kaggwa, R.C., A.A van Dam, J. Kipkemboi, P. Denny (2010) Evaluation of nitrogen cycling and fish production in seasonal ponds ('Fingerponds') in Lake Victoria wetlands, East Africa using a dynamic simulation model. Aquaculture Research: DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2109.2010.02563.x
- Phong, L.T., A.A. van Dam, H.M.J. Udo, M.E.F. van Mensvoort, L.Q. Tri, F.A. Steenstra, and A.J. van der Zijpp (2010) An agro-ecological evaluation of aquaculture integration into farming systems of the Mekong Delta. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 138 (3-4), 232-241. DOI:10.1016/j.agee.2010.05.004
- Kipkemboi, J., A.A. van Dam & P. Denny (2007) Smallholder integrated aquaculture (Fingerponds) in the wetlands of Lake Victoria, Kenya: assessing the environmental impacts with the aid of Bayesian networks. African Journal of Aquatic Sciences 32, 219-234.
- van Dam, A.A., A. Dardona, P. Kelderman & F. Kansiime (2007) A simulation model for nitrogen retention in a papyrus wetland near Lake Victoria, Uganda (East Africa). Wetland Ecology and Management 15, 469-480.
- van Dam, A.A., M.C.M. Beveridge, M.E. Azim and M.C.J. Verdegem (2002) The potential of fish production based on periphyton. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 12, 1–31.