- Anne van Dam obtained an MSc from Wageningen University in 1986, specializing in aquaculture and fisheries. From 1987 to 1992 he worked for ICLARM (presently the World Fish Center) in the Philippines and in Malawi, Africa in research projects on integrated crop-fish farming. In 1995, he completed his PhD-thesis on a model for growth of Nile tilapia in integrated fishponds. From 1995 to 1999 he was coordinator and fisheries adviser for a university collaboration project in Costa Rica. From 1999 to 2002, he was a researcher in the Aquaulture and Fisheries Group of Wageningen University, involved in research projects on integrated fish production systems and periphyton. In January 2003, he started working as a Senior Lecturer in Environmental and Ecological Modelling at the IHE Delft Institute for Water Education in Delft, The Netherlands, and was appointed Associate Professor of Environmental Systems Analysis in 2008. His main research interests during the past years have been sustainable use of wetlands and modelling of fish production and nutrient flows in wetland ecosystems. He is especially interested in the use of models to study ecosystem functions and services and develop sustainable production systems, and to evaluate ecological, social and economic indicators of sustainability. At IHE Delft, he has been working with partners and students in international projects on wetland management and integrated agriculture-aquaculture systems. He was a co-editor of the Wetlands Book (published by Springer in 2018) and is also involved in the work of the Scientific and Technical Review Panel (STRP) of the Ramsar Convention on Wetlands. He was one of the lead authors of the Global Wetland Outlook published by the Ramsar Convention in 2018.
- Areas of interest: wetland ecology, wetland restoration and management, environmental modelling, ecosystem services, aquaculture
- Hes EMA, van Dam AA (2019) Modelling nitrogen and phosphorus cycling and retention in Cyperus papyrus dominated natural wetlands. Environmental Modelling and Software 122, 104531. https://doi.org/10.1016/ j.envsoft.2019.104531.
- Janse JH, van Dam AA, Hes EMA, de Klein JJM, Verhoeven JTA, Finlayson CM, Janssen ABG, van Wijk D, Mooij WM (2019) Towards a global model for wetlands ecosystem services. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability 36, 11-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cosust.2018.09.002.
- Davidson N, van Dam AA, Finlayson CM, McInnes R (2019) The worth of wetlands: revised global monetary values of coastal and inland wetland ecosystem services. Marine and Freshwater Research, https://doi.org/10.1071/ MF18391.
- van Dam, A.A., Kipkemboi, J. (2018) Sustainable use of papyrus (Lake Victoria wetlands, Kenya). In: Davidson NC, Middleton B, McInnes R, Everard M, Irvine K, van Dam AA, Finlayson CM, editors. The Wetland Book Vol. 1: Wetland structure and function, management, and methods. Dordrecht (The Netherlands): Springer. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-90-481-9659-3_207
- Gevers, I., E. Koopmanschap, K. Irvine, M.C. Finlayson, A.A. van Dam (2018) Capacity development for wetland management, In: Davidson NC, Middleton B, McInnes R, Everard M, Irvine K, van Dam AA, Finlayson CM, editors. The Wetland Book Vol. 1: Wetland structure and function, management, and methods. Dordrecht (The Netherlands): Springer. doi:10.1007/978-94-007-6172-8_274-1
- Uwimana A, van Dam AA, Irvine K (2018) Effects of conversion of wetlands to rice and fish farming on water quality in valley bottoms of the Migina Catchment, southern Rwanda. Ecological Engineering 125, 76-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2018.10.019
- Uwimana A, van Dam AA, Gettel GM, Irvine K (2018) Effects of agricultural land use on sediment and nutrient retention in valley-bottom wetlands of Migina catchment, southern Rwanda. Journal of Environmental Managmement 219, 103-114. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envman.2018.04.094.
- Uwimana A, van Dam AA, Gettel GM, Bigirimana B, Irvine K (2017) Effects of river discharge and land use and land cover (LULC) on water quality dynamics in Migina Catchment, Rwanda. Environmental Management 60, 496 - 512. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00267-017-0891-7
- Janssen ABG, Arhonditsis GB, Beusen A, Bolding K, Bruce L, Bruggeman J, Couture RM, Downing AS, Elliott JA, Frassl MA, Gal G, Gerla DJ, Hipsey MR, Hu F, Ives SC, Janse JH, Jeppesen E, Johnk KD, Kneis D, Kong X, Kuiper JJ, Lehmann MK, Lemmen C, Ozkundakci D, Petzoldt T, Rinke K, Robson BJ, Sachse R, Schep SA, Schmid M, Scholten H, Teurlincx S, Trolle D, Troost TA, van Dam AA, van Gerven LPA, Weijerman M, Wells SA, Mooij WM (2015) Exploring, exploiting and evolving diversity of aquatic ecosystem models: a community perspective. Aquat Ecol 49:513–548. DOI 10.1007/s10452-015-9544-1
- van Dam AA, WC Valenti, W Zhang, B Austin, JAH Benzie, BA Costa-Pierce, AP Farrell, DM Gatlin, G Hulata, DC Little et al. (2015) Introducing: Aquaculture Reports. Editorial, Aquaculture Reports 1, A1-A2. DOI: 10.1016/ j.aqrep.2014.10.001
- Mooij WM, Brederveld B, de Klein JJM, DeAngelis DL, Downing AS, Faber M, Gerla DJ, Hipsey MR, ’t Hoen J, Janse JH, Janssen ABG, Jeuken M, Kooi BW, Lischke B, Petzoldt T, Postma L, Schep SA, Teurlincx S, Thiange C, Trolle D, van Dam AA, van Gerven L, van Nes EH, Kuiper JJ (2014) Serving many at once: how a Database Approach Towards Modelling (DATM) can create unity in dynamical ecosystem modelling. Environmental Modelling & Software 61, 266–273.
- van Dam AA, Kipkemboi J, Mazvimavi D, Irvine K (2014) A synthesis of past, current and future research for protection and management of papyrus (Cyperus papyrus L.) wetlands in Africa. Wetlands Ecology and Management 22, 99–114. DOI 10.1007/s11273-013-9335-1
- Hes, EMA, Ren Niu, AA van Dam (2014) A simulation model for nitrogen cycling in natural rooted papyrus wetlands in East Africa. Wetlands Ecology and Management 22, 157-176. DOI 10.1007/s11273-014-9336-8
- Zsuffa I., van Dam A.A., Kaggwa R.C., Namaalwa S., Mahieu M., Cools J., Johnston R. (2014) Towards decision support-based integrated management planning of papyrus wetlands: a case study from Uganda. Wetlands Ecology and Management 22, 199-213. DOI 10.1007/s11273-013-9329-z
- Rongoei, P.J., J. Kipkemboi, S. Kariuki, A.A. van Dam (2014) Effects of water depth and livelihood activities on plant species composition and diversity in Nyando floodplain wetland, Kenya. Wetlands Ecology and Management 22, 177-189. DOI: 10.1007/s11273-013-9313-7.
- van Dam, A.A., J. Kipkemboi, M.M. Rahman, G.M. Gettel (2013) Linking hydrology, ecosystem function, and livelihood outcomes in African papyrus wetlands using a Bayesian Network model. Wetlands 33, 381-397. DOI: 10.1007/s13157-013-0395-z.
- Rongoei, P.J., J. Kipkemboi, J.B. Okeyo-Owuor, A.A. van Dam (2013) Ecosystem services and drivers of change in Nyando floodplain wetland, Kenya. African Journal of Environmental Science and Technology 7, 274-291.
- Namaalwa, S., A.A. van Dam, A. Funk, G.S. Ajie, R.C. Kaggwa (2013) A characterization of the drivers, pressures, ecosystem functions and services of Namatala wetland, Uganda. Environmental Science and Policy (in press).
- Tran-Duy, A., A.A. van Dam, J.W. Schrama (2012) Feed intake, growth and metabolism of Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) in relation to dissolved oxygen concentration. Aquaculture Research 43, 730–744, DOI:10.1111/j.1365-2109.2011.02882.x
- van Dam, A.A., J. Kipkemboi, A.M. Zaal, J.B. Okeyo-Owuor (2011) The ecology of livelihoods in East African papyrus wetlands (ECOLIVE). Reviews in Environmental Science and Biotechnology 10, 291-300. DOI : 10.1007/s11157-011-9255-6.
- Kaggwa, R.C., A.A van Dam, J. Kipkemboi, P. Denny (2010) Evaluation of nitrogen cycling and fish production in seasonal ponds ('Fingerponds') in Lake Victoria wetlands, East Africa using a dynamic simulation model. Aquaculture Research: DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-2109.2010.02563.x
- Phong, L.T., A.A. van Dam, H.M.J. Udo, M.E.F. van Mensvoort, L.Q. Tri, F.A. Steenstra, and A.J. van der Zijpp (2010) An agro-ecological evaluation of aquaculture integration into farming systems of the Mekong Delta. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 138 (3-4), 232-241. DOI:10.1016/j.agee.2010.05.004
- Kipkemboi, J., A.A. van Dam & P. Denny (2007) Smallholder integrated aquaculture (Fingerponds) in the wetlands of Lake Victoria, Kenya: assessing the environmental impacts with the aid of Bayesian networks. African Journal of Aquatic Sciences 32, 219-234.
- van Dam, A.A., A. Dardona, P. Kelderman & F. Kansiime (2007) A simulation model for nitrogen retention in a papyrus wetland near Lake Victoria, Uganda (East Africa). Wetland Ecology and Management 15, 469-480.
- van Dam, A.A., M.C.M. Beveridge, M.E. Azim and M.C.J. Verdegem (2002) The potential of fish production based on periphyton. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries 12, 1–31.