Aries has been working since 2005 as a Development Planner in Karawang Regency, Indonesia. He is currently a full-time Ph.D fellow in Land and Water Development Chair Group, WSE Department, IHE-Delft. He received his bachelor degree (B.Eng) majoring Mining Engineering in 2003 from University of Sriwijaya, Indonesia. Afterwards, he continued his master study in a double-degree programme on Integrated Lowland Development and Management Planning in University of Sriwijaya & UNESCO-IHE, Delft. He graduated in 2013 with the thesis topic on “GIS-based Modeling for Soil Erosion in Lowland Areas”. His expertise is mainly on local development planning, with several research interests on natural resources, land and water, environment, water-energy-food security, nexus approach, GIS-based and spatial analysis, economic base analysis, and system dynamics modeling.
TopicDevelopment of GIS-based Decision Support System (DSS) for Food security: An Integrated Approach of Spatial planning and Food Agricultural Land Protection Policy.
He started to undertake PhD research in IHE-Delft on September 1, 2016 with the full support from Indonesia Endowment Fund for Education (LPDP), Ministry of Finance of Indonesia. His PhD research explores more on the development of “System Dynamics Framework for Water-Energy-Food (WEF) Security Nexus in Local Perspective”. The framework is expected to assist local government and stakeholders in doing evaluation and planning of WEF security in their region.
- Purwanto A., (2017), Economic base analysis of water, energy and food related sectors: a case of West Java Province, Creative Research Journal vol. 03 no. 02 December 2017, p. 73-90, http://crjournal.jabarprov.go.id/index.php/crj/article/view/101/pdf
- Purwanto A,, Susnik J., Suryadi, F.X., de Fraiture C., (2018), Determining strategies for water, energy and food-related sectors in local economic development, Sustainable Production and Consumption 16 (2018) 162-175 Elsevier, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.spc.2018.08.005
- 2017, "Portraying Water, Energy, and Food related Sectors in Local Economic Development", PhD Symposium, IHE-SENSE (Oct 2)
- 2017, Course on Open Source software for processing GIS data for hydrological models, IHE-Delft, (Sep 18-22)
- 2017, Hidden Water Symposium, TU Delft, (May 3)
- 2017, A1-Introductory Course: Environmental Research in Context, SENSE, (Mar 29-31)
- 2017, Wageningen Indonesia Scientific Expose (WISE), Conference on “Global One Health”, WUR (Mar 8)
- 2017, Seminar on What is likely to happen in world energy to 2052?, TU Delft (Feb 13)