Students in the Limnology and Wetland Management specialisation of the IHE Environmental Science MSc-programme; students from other academic institutions who take this module as a short course; professionals working in the water or environment sector who want to strengthen their skills in quantitative data analysis.
PrerequisitesFor LWM students: prerequisites of the LWM specialization; for course participants from outside IHE: a basic knowledge of statistics (e.g. from having taken a university course in basic statistics or from work experience), and basic skills in working with Excel spreadsheets.
Dates, Fee, ECTS
Start: 18 May 2020
End: 05 June 2020
ECTS credit points: 5
Deadline IHE application: 17 April 2020 - 23.59 (CET)
Course fee: € 2910
VAT is not included in the course fee
- Store and manipulate experimental data efficiently in a simple database and perform exploratory data analysis using time series plots, scatter plots and descriptive statistics in MS Excel and R.
- Perform basic statistical procedures and analyses using R (distribution tests and transfor-mations, t-tests, ANOVAs, non-parametric tests, simple and multiple regression, etc.)
- Do multivariate statistical analyses, such as multiple regression analysis and factor analysis, using R; and understand the principles of some other advanced modelling applications for ecological data.
- Construct a simple dynamic simulation model of an aquatic ecosystem using Stella.
- Discuss critically the strengths, weaknesses, missing information, advantages and disadvantages of the analyses.
- Communicate effectively the methods, results and conclusions of a case study (presentation and written report).