- 21 May 2019 - 23 May 2019
On 21 - 23 May, IHE Delft is hosting the International Workshop: Defining a national information strategy in view of reaching SDG 6. This event is organized by the Dutch Ministry of Infrastructure and Water Management and UN-Water is the special adviser.
Improving national monitoring, the collection of data and information at the national level to enable countries to improve their water management and ultimately reach the SDG6 goals by 2030 is the main theme of the workshop. It will focus specifically on SDG targets 6.3 and 6.4, on water quality and availability, both surface water and groundwater.
At the workshop, masterclasses will be given on remote sensing, emission registration by companies, citizen science, drones & sensors, social media data, model use for data scarce locations. This will allow participants to discover the possibilities that open data and new methods & technologies bring.
Global indicators, country needs
Although the global indicators are the context, the workshop will dive much deeper and try to focus on specific country needs. The workshop will provide guidance on how to develop an information system, even under limited availability of resources. To this end, the workshop will raise capacity on:
- approaches, tools and methods for determining information needs for monitoring.
- sources of information, including monitoring networks, data collection as well as other types of information.
- hands-on sessions to test the approaches and methods as presented in the country’s situations.
- developing policy options to improve water management.
- Jointly learning how to improve country data and information collection will lead to improving the water management at regional and national levels.
Participants of the workshop from 15 countries have prepared by gathering information about one specific water management challenge in their country, that will serve as a case-study to provide context throughout the workshop. The result they will take home is an information strategy plan tailored to their water management challenge.
Follow the workshop on social media: #ISMforSDG6