Professionals dealing with engineering, management and education in the fields of water supply and wastewater and urban infrastructure will benefit greatly from this short course. It is also helpful for post graduate students in environmental engineering. Participants from government organisations (such as local administrations and national agencies), non-governmental organisations and the private sector are encouraged to join. This course is ideal for practicing engineers who are working in the water supply and sewerage systems.
Participants should meet the general IHE Delft admission criteria, and possess a BSc degree in chemical, environmental, or civil engineering.
Dates, Fee, ECTS
Start: 10 February 2020
End: 28 February 2020
ECTS credit points: 5
Deadline IHE application: 09 January 2020 - 23.59 (CET)
Course fee: € 2910
Start: 08 February 2021
End: 26 February 2021
Deadline IHE application: 07 January 2021 - 23.59 (CET)
Course fee: € 2910
VAT is not included in the course fee
- Explain the principles of disinfection, drinking water quality, natural treatment systems, adsorption and activated carbon filtration processes
- Integrate theoretical principles of disinfection with practical aspects of evaluation of disinfection systems
- Prepare conceptual design of appropriate processes following the evaluation of water quality characteristics and the intended use of the treated water
The course covers some of the unit processes of conventional surface water treatment. The following unit process will be explored in detail through lectures, laboratory sessions and workshops:
- Disinfection: Basic principles of disinfection; chemical disinfection; disinfection by products; ozone disinfection; UV disinfection.
- Adsorption: Theoretical background of adsorptive processes.
- Activated carbon: Granular and powdered activated carbon, modelling and design.
- Chemical softening: Principles of chemical softening and sludge blanket softening; design and operation of pellet-softening and membrane softening plants.
- Ion exchange: Ion exchange resins (selectivity, column operation, regeneration of resins and applications).