For whom?Professionals from the academic, public or private sectors, with a background in environmental or social sciences, engineering, or management of natural resources.
Dates, Fee, ECTS
Start: 08 June 2020
End: 26 June 2020
Deadline IHE application: 07 May 2020 - 23.59 (CET)
Course fee: € 2910
VAT is not included in the course fee
Upon completion, the participant should be able to:
- Explain the role of impact assessment (Environmental Impact Assessment [EIA] and Strategic Environmental Assessment [SEA]) in achieving sustainable development, and be able to reflect on their function as a decision-making tool.
- Describe selected methods and tools used in EIA & SEA and apply them to conduct a desk-top assessment for a water-related development project.
- Describe the importance of public participation in EIA & SEA and how the roles of stakeholders, experts, regulators and proponents- vary between the two processes.
- Analyse the barriers and drivers that influence the effective integration of EIA & SEA into the planning/project approval process in different contexts, including developing and transition countries.
- Explain the similarities and differences between the EIA & SEA principles and processes, and their application in river basin and natural resource planning and management.
- Introduction to environmental assessment for water policies and developments
- Principles of EIA and SEA, and legal and policy framework
- EIA and SEA tools and methods
- Case study (group and individual work): design an appropriate EA approach for a specific case
- Effective integration of EA into the planning/project in developing and transition countries.