Gonzalo E. Espinoza Davalos is a researcher and junior lecturer of Water Accounting within the Water Management chair group in the Department of Integrated Water Systems and Governance (IWSG). Gonzalo is an expert in global land-surface models and hydrologic web applications, his research focuses on the spatial-temporal distribution and statistical analysis of hydrologic variables and the integration of large datasets into hydrologic applications such as drought assessment, river routing, and water accounting.
Gonzalo is currently working in a Water Accounting project funded by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations. The project objective is to apply the Water Accounting+ framework to determine the agricultural water use and water productivity in Africa and the Middle East. The project is part of the efforts to achieve a sustainable use of water and to secure food production.
Gonzalo holds a PhD in Civil Engineering and an MSc in Environmental and Water Resources Engineering from The University of Texas at Austin. He’s PhD dissertation is titled “Large-Scale Statistical Analysis of NLDAS Variables and Hydrologic Web Applications” that was supervised by David Maidment. Gonzalo also received a bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineer from the Autonomous University of Aguascalientes (UAA).
- Swain, N. R., Christensen, S. D., Snow, A. D., Dolder, H., Espinoza-Davalos, G.E., Goharian, E., … Burian, S. J. (2016). A new open source platform for lowering the barrier for environmental web app development. Environmental Modelling & Software, 85, 11–26. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsoft.2016.08.003
- Espinoza-Davalos, G.E., Arctur, D., Teng, W., Maidment, D., Garcia-Marti, I., & Comair, G. (2016). Studying Soil Moisture at a National Level through Statistical Analysis of NASA NLDAS Data. Journal of Hydroinformatics. 18(2), 277-287. http://doi.org/10.2166/hydro.2015.231
- Comair, G. F., McKinney, D. C., Maidment, D. R., Espinoza-Davalos, G.E., Sangiredy, H., Fayad, A., & Salas, F. R. (2014). Hydrology of the Jordan River Basin: A GIS-Based System to Better Guide Water Resources Management and Decision Making. Water Resources Management, (2014), 933–946. http://doi.org/10.1007/s11269-014-0525-2
- Comair, G. F., McKinney, D. C., Scoullos, M. J., Flinker, R. H., & Espinoza-Davalos, G.E. (2013). Transboundary cooperation in international basins: Clarification and experiences from the Orontes river basin agreement: Part 1. Environmental Science & Policy, 31, 133–140. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsci.2013.01.006
- Comair, G. F., McKinney, D. C., Scoullos, M. J., Flinker, R. H., & Espinoza-Davalos, G.E. (2013). Transboundary cooperation in international basins: Clarification and experiences from the Orontes River Basin agreement: Part 2. Environmental Science & Policy, 31, 141–148. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsci.2013.03.003