For whom?The module specifically targets professionals in water treatment companies, consulting agencies, ministries and equipment suppliers.
PrerequisitesParticipants should meet the general IHE - Delft admission criteria, and possess a BSc degree in Chemical, Environmental, Civil or Sanitary Engineering.
Dates, Fee, ECTS
Start: 07 March 2022
End: 25 March 2022
Deadline IHE application: 06 February 2022 - 23.59 (CET)
Course fee: € 3000
VAT is not included in the course fee
- Assess if given (ground)water is aggressive against materials used in water a supply system and propose appropriate neutralisation technique(s).
- Describe importance of groundwater as a source for drinking water production and assess overall quality of a given groundwater.
- Establish appropriate treatment approach for groundwater containing commonly occurring impurities and pollutants including iron, manganese, ammonia, fluoride, arsenic, hydrogen sulphide and nitrate.
- Explain advanced groundwater treatment approaches applied in The Netherlands
The course covers the following subjects:
- Ground Water Flow and Recovery: Theory of groundwater flow, Darcys law, confined and unconfined aquifers, geohydrological investigations, development of observation and production wells.
- Water Quality and Treatment: The use of water, water-born diseases, drinking water quality parameters and standards, introduction to water treatment processes, disinfection, removal of ammonia, colour, taste and odour, quality of groundwater, removal of iron manganese and nitrate, aggressive characteristics of water.
- Advanced Groundwater Treatment: Advanced concepts in the removal of iron, manganese, arsenic, fluoride, methane, hydrogen sulphate and nitrate.
- Computer Exercise Groundwater Treatment: Computer programmes will be used to optimise design of conventional groundwater treatment plants and examine the applicability of adsorptive iron removal.
- Laboratory Course on Water Chemistry: Colorimetric analysis of ammonia, phosphate, pH measurements, acidity, alkalinity and hardness, determination of chlorine in water, breakpoint chlorination, iron, arsenic, fluoride and nitrate analysis, iron(II) oxidation.
- Excursion: Field visit to groundwater treatment plants in The Netherlands.