- 23 Sep 2022
- 09:00 - 12:30
IHE Delft Institute for Water Education is participating in a worldwide event called "The Home River Bioblitz". On 23 September, citizens around the world will explore, identify, and share knowledge about biodiversity in their local freshwater ecosystems. Citizens of Delft, university students and others interested are invited to join in the Delft Home River Bioblitz event at the Arboretum Heempark in Delft, the Netherlands.
Joining this event means you will be operating as a citizen scientist by means of photography observations and the use of the iNaturalist application. Your photos will feed into a global biodiversity database. The Delft event will be linked with other Home River Bioblitz citizens around the world through the international network of The River Collective and its project The Home River Bioblitz.
- 9:00 to 9:15 am Registration and welcome of the citizens participants at IHE Delft builing. Address: Westvest 7 in Delft
- 9:15 to 9:30 am Presentation of Home River Bioblitz event and iNaturalist training
- 9:30 to 9:45 am Presentation of the importance of freshwater ecosystem biodiversity by Michael McClain, Professor of Ecohydrology at IHE Delft
- 9:45 to 10:00 am Introduction of macroinvertebrates monitoring
- 15 min bike ride to Arboretum Heempark
- 10:15 to 10:30 am Introduction to the Arboretum and instructions for the walk
- 10:30 to 11:00 am Walk through the Arboretum taking photos (bring your own camera) and knowledge sharing between the experts and citizens participants
- 11:00 to 11:30 am Macroinvertebrates sampling and photographing
- 11:30 to 11:45 am Conclusions
- 15 min bike ride back to IHE Delft
- 12:00 to 12:30 pm Presentation of how to upload the photos in iNaturalist platform, visualization of some of the observations and conclusions of the event
- 12:30 pm End of the event and certificate handover
Please register to join this event before 19 September via this form. Your registration will be confirmed via e-mail. There is a maximum of 15 citizen scientists able to join. We will consider organizing a second session if the registrations exceed 20 participants.
For more information follow @homeriverbioblitz and @ihedelft on social media.
Read more about a Home River Bioblitz event in Mexico led by PhD researcher Enya Enriquez Brambila.