The course is designed for scientists, engineers involved in hydropower design and water resources management, or interested in these topics. Basic knowledge of hydraulic and structural engineering is a prerequisite for joining this course.
PrerequisitesWorking knowledge in Hydraulics, Geoscience and structural engineering
Dates, Fee, ECTS
Start: 29 March 2021
End: 09 April 2021
Deadline IHE application: 27 February 2021 - 23.59 (CET)
Course fee: € 2000
Start: 14 March 2022
End: 25 March 2022
Deadline IHE application: 13 February 2022 - 23.59 (CET)
Course fee: € 2000
VAT is not included in the course fee
- select proper power waterway type and layout integrating geological, geo-morphological and hydraulic characteristics of the site
- implement hydraulic and structural design of the power waterway and all their parts
- predict the construction and operational costs of the power waterway and identify the environmental impacts of the power waterway
- implement knowledge in practical design of the hydropower schemes
The hydropower water conduit system or the power waterway transfers water from the reservoir to the powerhouse and into the downstream reservoir/river. The main parts of the water conduit system are: intake structure, gates, open channel, free flow channel and/or pressurised tunnel, surge tank, penstock and different auxiliary structures such as: settling basin, bifurcations or safety equipment. The power waterway is not only a costly part of the hydropower project, but also the part that connects other main project parts and stretches over nearly whole project area. Therefore appropriate design is a matter of economy and safety, but also an issue technical applicability, ecological acceptability and sustainability.
The aim of the course on "Hydropower conduit system design" is to provide theoretical understanding and practical insights to geotechnical, hydraulic and structural design of the power waterway in global, but also in its particular parts. The course deals with parameters needed for optimal design, theoretical design background and practical design examples.
The course addresses the entire cycle of the power waterway planning and designing. Specific contents are:
- Introduction and planning (project stages)
- Layout selection (topology, geology) and parts of water conduit system
- Hydraulics (design of structures, losses, transient calculations)
- Civil design of structures (Intakes and settling basins, Free surface waterways (channel and pipes with free surface flow), Presurised waterways (unlined, concrete lined, reinforced lined, steel lined), Special structures (gates and valves, surge tanks, bifurcations))
- Costs analyses
- Environmental aspects
Use of state of the art literature coupled with design experience from international projects and academic examples. Interactive lectures in class; individual exercises; group exercises; case study analysis.
- Alessandro Cattapan (IHE Delft)
- Miroslav Marence (IHE Delft)
- Ioana Popescu (IHE Delft)
- David Ferras (IHE Delft)
- Mario Franca (IHE Delft)