Participants should possess a BSc degree in an area relate environmental engineering and science, microbiology, chemical engineering, chemistry, public health, etc. Professional experience in the water field helps to fully grasp the significance of the back-ground thinking relayed in the module and of the practical benefits of some of the concepts presented. A good command of the English language is required.
Required: Basic knowledge in chemistry, application of engineering principles and concepts in process industries or relevant work experience in the environmental sector.
Dates, Fee, ECTS
Start: 25 April 2022
End: 13 May 2022
Deadline IHE application: 24 March 2022 - 23.59 (CET)
Course fee: € 3000
VAT is not included in the course fee
- Suggest options for preventing pollution and implementing cleaner production in industries
- Describe the responsibilities of companies for their impact on environmental resources and assess the environmental impact of products and processes
- Compare different methods for industrial wastewater treatment and resource recovery
- Give examples for the applications of environmental management systems in the industrial context
- Differentiate between the sustainable use of various resources (e.g. metals) and its benefits for reducing environmental burden
- Analyze the different tools that support circular economy and make basic calculations related to life cycle analysis
- What is Cleaner Production, why is it needed, what are the benefits, and what does it mean in practice?
- After this introduction, tools are discussed that can help in analysing and improving the environmental status, such as Life Cycle Analysis and Eco-design. The importance of proper environmental management is brought in and how these systems can be set up. ISO and ISO certification is mentioned.
- Specific attention is devoted to industrial water management in which both the raw water, the in-process water and the water leaving a process or set of processes are looked at from the point of few of optimised usage.
- The short course includes a fieldtrip to a site where Cleaner Production has been practiced on a water issue.