Dr. Laszlo G. Hayde is Programme Manager of the Water and Sustainable Development Master Programmes of IHE Delft.
Since 2012 he is Honorary Associate Professor of the Faculty of Civil Engineering, Budapest University of Technology and Economics, and member of the General Directorate of Water Management (OVF) - Scientific Advisory Coucil in Hungary since 2019.
Dr. Hayde is Vice President Honorary of the International Commission on Irrigation and Drainage (ICID) and Associate Editor of the Journal of ICID: Irrigation and Drainage, published by John Wiley and Sons Ltd.
He is Member of the Editorial Board - Journal of Hydraulic Engineering (Vizugyi Kozlemenyek), Journal of the General Directorate of Water Management (OVF), Hungary and Global Fellow of The Daugherty Water for Food Global Institute at the University of Nebraska, USA
In 2020 he received the Major Award for the Advancement of Surface Irrigation of the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers (ASABE) and in 2021 was awarded as Honorary Memeber of the Hungarian Hydrological Society.
Laszlo Hayde graduated from the Faculty of Civil Engineering, Technical University of Budapest (TUB), Hungary in Hydraulic Engineering in 1982 and followed postgraduate studies in Sanitary Engineering (1989-91, TUB) and in Environmental Impact Assessment at the University of Aberdeen, Scotland UK (1991). He obtained his Doctorate degree in Fluid Mechanics in 1995.
- After his graduation he worked for a consulting company on various hydraulic engineering projects.
- From 1985 to 1992 he was Assistant, and from 1992 onwards Senior Assistant Professor at TUB (from the year 2000: renamed as Budapest University of Technology and Economics, BUTE), Department of Hydraulic and Water Resources Engineering.
- He has international experiences in higher education and its management, as well as curricula development.
- In 1997-98 he was Head of the Dean’s Office, Faculty of Civil Engineering of BUTE.
- In 2001 he was appointed Deputy Director of the International Education Centre of BUTE, responsible for the English language engineering education of the University.
In 2002 Dr. Hayde joined the Core Land and Water Development of the Water Engineering Department of IHE (presently called Research Group Water and Agriculture of the Land and Water Management Department at IHE Delft Institute for Water Education) as a Senior Lecturer in Irrigation Engineering.
- International Commission on Irrigation and Drainage (ICID) since 1998;
- Secretary General of the Hungarian National Committee (HUCID) 2000 – 2004;
- Vice President of HUCID from 2008; from 2005 till 2010 Secretary and from 2010 till 2015 Chairman of the European Regional Working Group of ICID;
- Vice President of ICID 2009-2012.
- International Water History Association (IWHA) since 2008.
Scientific Research Interests
- Hydraulic engineering structures; agricultural water management structures;
- Hydraulics, fluid mechanics;
- Environmentally sound solutions in hydraulic engineering; environmental impacts and assessment;
- Implementation of the EU Water Framework Directive; integrated river basin management;
- History of hydraulic engineering and water management.
- Water Bankruptcy in the Land of Plenty – Steps towards a transatlantic and transdisciplinary assessment of water scarcity in Southern Arizona [Editors: Franck Poupeau, Hoshin Gupta, Aleix Serrat-Capdevila, Susan Harris, Laszlo G. Hayde] CRC Press/Balkema, Taylor & Francis Group, 2016. 437p., ISBN: 978-1-138-02969-9 (Pbk) ISBN: 978-1-4987-7699-8 (eBook PDF) IHE Delft, The Netherlands
- Danube Valley, History of Irrigation, Drainage and Flood Control [Editors-in-Chief: G. Cseko, L. Hayde] ICID International Commission on Irrigation and Drainage / ICID, New Delhi, India, First Edition 2004. 715p., ISBN: 81-85068-85-2
- Enhancing the Economic Value of Large Investments in Sustainable Drainage Systems (SuDS) through Inclusion of Ecosystems Services Benefits [Santiago Urrestarazu Vincent, Mohanasundar Radhakrishnan, Laszlo Hayde and Assela Pathirana] pp. 112-128. in Sponge Cities: Emerging Approaches, Challenges and Opportunities [Ed.: C. Zevenbergen, D. Fu, A. Pathirana] MDPI Basel, Switzerland, 2018. ISBN 978-3-03897-272-3 (Pbk) ISBN 978-3-03897-273-0 (PDF) https://www.mdpi.com/books/pdfview/book/815
- Alternative water sources towards increased resilience in the Tucson region: Could we do more? [Kristin Kuhn, Aleix Serrat-Capdevila, Edward F. Curley, Laszlo G. Hayde] Chapter 17 pp.337-362 of Water Bankruptcy in the Land of Plenty – Steps towards a transatlantic and transdisciplinary assessment of water scarcity in Southern Arizona [Ed.: F. Poupeau, H. Gupta, A. Serrat-Capdevila, S. Harris, L.G. Hayde] CRC Press/Balkema, Taylor & Francis Group, 2016. 437p., ISBN: 978-1-138-02969-9 (Pbk) ISBN: 978-1-4987-7699-8 (eBook PDF) IHE Delft, The Netherlands
- (Introduction to Fluid Mechanics) Hidraulikai alapismeretek [Dr. Hayde L.]; (WATER MANAGEMENT) VIZGAZDALKODAS mezogazdasagi, kertesz-, tajepitesz- es erdomernok- hallgatok reszere. Published by: Mezogazdasagi Szaktudas Kiado, Budapest 1997. [Ed./Szerk.: Dr. Vermes Laszlo] Chapter/Fejezet. pp. 65-91, ISBN 963 356 218 X
- (Environmental Impacts of Water Management) A vizgazdalkodas kornyezeti hatasai. [Dr. Hayde L.]; (WATER MANAGEMENT) VIZGAZDALKODAS mezogazdasagi, kertesz-, tajepitesz- es erdomernok-hallgatok reszere. Published by: Mezogazdasagi Szaktudas Kiado, Budapest 1997. [Ed./Szerk.: Dr. Vermes Laszlo] Chapter/Fejezet. pp. 385-395, ISBN 963 356 218 X
- Why indigenous water systems are declining and how to revive them: A rough set analysis [Aklan M., Charlotte de Fraiture, Laszlo G. Hayde, Marwan Moharam], Journal of Arid Environments, Elsevier, ISSN 0140-1963, 2022, Volume 202, 104765, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaridenv.2022.104765.
- Economic analysis of deficit irrigation in sugarcane farming: Nchalo Estate, Chikwawa District, Malawi [Banda, Mavuto M.; Heeren, Derek M.; Martin, Derrel; Munoz-Arriola, Francisco; and Hayde, Laszlo G.] (2019). Biological Systems Engineering: Papers and Publications. 607. https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/biosysengfacpub/607
- Which Water Sources Do People Revert to In Times of War? Evidence From the Sana’a Basin Yemen [Musaed M. Aklan, Charlotte de Fraiture, Laszlo G Hayde], International Journal of Environmental Research, Springer ISSN 1735-6865, 2019, DOI 10.1007/s41742-019-00205-9 https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs41742-019-00205-9
- Learning from Experiences of Ancient Subak Schemes for Participatory Irrigation System Management in Bali. [Yekti, M. I., Schultz, B., Norken, I. N., Gany, A. H. A., Hayde, L.] (2017) Irrigation and Drainage, John Wiley and Sons Ltd. doi: 10.1002/ird.2122. 30 March 2017.
- Assessing Irrigation Water Management Using Trend Analysis and Autocorrelation [Amadou Keita, Hamma Yacouba, Laszlo G. Hayde, and Bart Schultz] International Agricultural Engineering Journal, Vol.25 No.2, July 6, 2016. pp.30-43. ISSN: 0858-2114. http://www.iaej.cn/EN/abstract/abstract362.shtml
- Water Delivery Performance at Metahara Large-Scale Irrigation Scheme, Ethiopia [Zeleke A. Dejen, Bart Schultz and Laszlo Hayde]. Irrigation and Drainage, John Wiley and Sons Ltd. Volume 64, Issue 4, October 2015. pp. 479-490. First published online: DOI: 10.1002/ird.1917. 16 May, 2015. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ird.1917/epdf
- Comparative irrigation performance assessment in community-managed schemes in Ethiopia [Zeleke Agide Dejen, Bart Schultz and Laszlo Hayde] African Journal of Agricultural Research Vol. 7(35), pp. 4956-4970, 11 September, 2012 Available online at http://www.academicjournals.org/AJAR DOI: 10.5897/AJAR11.2135 ISSN 1991-637X.
- Global Inventory of Closed-Off Tidal Basins and Developments after the Closure [Bart Schultz, Laszlo Hayde, Park Sang-Hyun and Kiichiro Tanaka] Irrigation and Drainage, the Journal of the International Commission on Irrigation and Drainage, John Wiley and Sons Ltd. Vol 62, Suppl.1. October 2013, pp. 107-123
- Characterisation of the Profile and Water Circulation in Valley Bottom Rice Irrigated Soils, Case of Tiefora in Burkina Faso [Amadou Keita, Bart Schultz, Hamma Yacouba and Laszlo Hayde] 11th ICID International Drainage Workshop on Agricultural Drainage Needs and Future Priorities - Cairo, Egypt - 23-27 September 2012, 16p.
- Improving the Operation of Irrigation Networks through Understanding the Hydrodynamic Behaviour [Zeleke A. Dejen, Bart Schultz and Laszlo Hayde] 63rd IEC Meeting and 7th Asian Regional Conference of ICID / The Irrigation Australia 2012 Conference & Trade Show, Adelaide, 24 - 29 June, 2012, 13p.
- Challenge of Runoff Regulation to Supply Paddy Terraces in Subak Irrigation Schemes [Mawiti Infantri Yekti, Bart Schultz and Laszlo Hayde] 63rd IEC Meeting and 7th Asian Regional Conference of ICID / The Irrigation Australia 2012 Conference & Trade Show, Adelaide, 24 - 29 June, 2012, 10p.
- Irrigation Performance in Community-Managed Schemes: Assessment Using Comparative Indicators and Utility Analysis [Zeleke Agide Dejen, Bart Schultz and Laszlo Hayde] 21st International Congress on Irrigation and Drainage, (Theme : Water productivity towards food security), International Commission on Irrigation and Drainage (ICID), Tehran, Iran, 15-23 October 2011, R.56.5.05, pp. 63-81.
- Seepage analysis underneath the headwork of Chanda Mohana Irrigation Scheme, Sunsari, Nepal [Santosh Kaini, Laszlo G. Hayde, Bart Schultz, Miroslav Marence] National Irrigation Seminar, Department of Irrigation/Nepal, International Network for Participatory Irrigation Management (INPIM)/Nepal and IWMI/Nepal, July, 2011, 21p.
- (Successful New Technology for Arsenic, Ammonia, Methane, Iron and Manganese Removal in Mako) Sikeres uj technologia arzen, ammonia, metan, vas es mangan eltavolitasara Makon [B. Petrusevski, P. Medgyesi, W. van der Meer, J. Baker, L. Hayde, F. Kruis, S. Sharma and J.C. Schippers] (11th National Sanitary Conference Sopron, Hungary) XI. ORSZAGOS VIZIKOZMU KONFERENCIA, Sopron, Hungary, 2007, 13p.
- Hydraulics of Double Stilling Basin Systems [Laszlo HAYDE] Periodica Polytechnica Ser. Civil Eng. Vol.45, No.1, pp. 151-169. Budapest University of Technology and Economics, Budapest, 2001. Available online at https://pp.bme.hu/ci/article/view/646