At IHE Delft, Leon leads the team that is responsible for the MSc specialization in Environmental Planning and Management (EPM). This is combined with teaching, research and capacity development activities in the field of water and environmental policy analysis, adaptive delta management and societal impact.
Leon Hermans combines work at IHE Delft and TU Delft (Faculty of Technology, Policy & Management). Prior to joining IHE Delft, Leon worked at TU Delft, where he also obtained his PhD degree in policy analysis, and at FAO at its headquarters in Rome, Italy.
The research of Leon focuses on methods for the (participatory) analysis of actor interactions, using so-called actor and strategy models, and monitoring and evaluation to support adaptive management, water governance and delta planning.
Currently, Leon is co-leading research projects in the Netherlands, Bangladesh, India and Vietnam. Three projects receive funding from the Building with Nature and the Urbanizing Deltas of the World programmes of the Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (NWO), another project is funded by the Transformations-2-Sustainability programme of NORFACE/Belmont Forum.
Leon co-authored books on Policy Analysis of Multi-Actor Systems (Boom/Lemma, 2010) and Actor and Strategy Models (Wiley, 2018).
- Korbee, D., H.Q. Nguyen, L.M. Hermans, H.L. Phi (2019). Navigating the bureaucracy: An analysis of implementation feasibility for the Mekong Delta Plan, Vietnam. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management. https://doi.org/10.1080/09640568.2019.1623014
- Gomes, S.L., Hermans, L.M., Islam, K., Huda, S., Hossain, A.T.M., & Thissen, W.A.H. (2018). Capacity Building for Water Management in Peri-Urban Communities, Bangladesh: A Simulation-Gaming Approach. Water, 10(11), 1704. https://doi.org/10.3390/w10111704
- Gomes, S.L., L.M. Hermans, W.A.H. Thissen (2018). Extending Community Operational Research to Address Institutional Aspects of Societal Problems: Experiences from Peri-urban Bangladesh. European Journal of Operational Research 268(3): 904-917. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2017.11.007
- Hermans, L.M. & S.W. Cunningham (with contributions from M. de Reuver & J.S. Timmermans) (2018). Actor and strategy models: Practical applications and step-wise approaches. Wiley, Hoboken, NJ. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/9781119284772
- Hermans, L.M., M. Haasnoot, J. ter Maat, J.H. Kwakkel. (2017). Designing monitoring arrangements for collaborative learning about adaptation pathways. Environmental Science & Policy 69: 29-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsci.2016.12.005
For a more complete and updated list see: