The programme is dedicated to targeting needs and delivering specialists in a short time, with the necessary qualifications. It aims to attract talented and ambitious young and mid-career sanitation professionals, working in water supply and sewerage companies, municipal assemblies, government ministries, NGOs and consulting firms. Ideally these individuals are dealing with urban and peri-urban sanitation.
Students who successfully complete this programme will receive a MSc degree in Sanitation.
IHE Delft is member of:
Start: 14 October 2021
Application deadline: 01 July 2021
While being at MSc level, the programme has a professional orientation. It is demand-driven, delivering graduates with the qualifications required by the sanitation sector. These areas will be prominent in the programme:
- the linking of the taught subject matter, not only to research outcomes, but also to sanitation practice;
- the nature of the individual research topics of the students;
- the embedding of the development of generic professional skills in the programme.
As a result, graduates will possess both the fundamental understanding, as well as the knowledge and skills necessary, to create professional impact ‘on the ground’. They will be able to apply existing knowledge and theory in practice and to contribute to the further development of knowledge in sanitation, and conduct practice-orientated field research, independently or in a multidisciplinary team.
Tuition & fellowships
The total cost of the programme including fees, student subsistence, accommodation cost and cost of air ticket are estimated at around €30,000.
There are various options to finance your participation in this programme. You may be eligible for a scholarship from the Joint Japan/Wordbank Graduate Scholarship Programme (JJWBGSP) or from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF). Only applicants from selected countries are eligible for these scholarships. Each scholarship has its own, specific requirements and different criteria and deadlines apply. More information on the eligibility criteria for these scholarships are provided when you scroll down.
In the online application form for academic admission, you can indicate which type of financing mechanism you intend to utilize. Step 6 in the application form is about how you intend to pay the costs of your study and other expenses. You should select here the option that is applicable to your situation, which can be either scholarship, employer or private means. If you do not meet the criteria for either JJWBGSP or BMGF scholarship and do not have other financial means, you may also select the option "scholarship" and then search yourself for other scholarships that may be applicable for your case.
Joint Japan/Wordbank Graduate Scholarship Programme
The Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship Program is open to women and men from developing countries with relevant professional experience and a history of supporting their countries’ development efforts. The call for applications for a JJWBGSP Scholarship for the programme starting in October 2021, will open around February 2021. The deadline usually is mid-April.
Bill&Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) Partial Scholarships
For the academic year 2021-2022 there will be 10 partial scholarships available from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. For the partial scholarship the candidate is expected to cover €15,000 from other sources. All other cost will be covered by the BMGF Scholarship. The matching funds can be provided by yourself, your employer or any other sponsor, or combination of those.
You are strongly advised to search as soon as possible for matching funds.
If you wish to apply for this scholarship you need to meet the following criteria:
- Be from a low or middle income country (see list on OECD website)
- Have a provisional admission to the programme (have passed the entrance exam)
- Secured 50% funding (evidence required)
Application deadline for BMGF Scholarship
1 May 2021
|f you meet all the above-mentioned conditions, you will be automatically shortlisted for this scholarship. You do not need to apply separately for it.
At least 50% of the scholarships will be awarded to female candidates. Selection will furthermore be based on your motivation statement. When you apply for admission, you have to upload a motivation statement. It is of utmost importance to pay careful attention to your motivation and to ONLY use the required format. Applicants whose motivation has the best fit with the programme objectives will pass to the next stage of selection (interview).
Selection results for BMGF Scholarships are available by 15 August 2021.
If you are neither eligible for a JJWBGSP nor for BMGF scholarship, you are strongly advised to search yourself for other options. More information on other scholarship opportunities is available on our website. Besides this you are advised to search yourself actively for other opportunities which may be specifically applicable for your country.
Other means of financing
It is possible to cover the cost of the programme by private means or with financial assistance of your employer or any other sponsor, or a combination. You can indicate this in your application form and choose the relevant option.With the documents that you have to upload when you apply for admission, there is an option to upload a document that confirms proof of funding.
Application & Admission
Applicants who meet the admission requirements, and who have submitted a complete application, will receive a conditional academic admission letter. They will have to study two preparatory courses (chemistry and microbiology) and will have to do an entrance examination. If they pass the entrance examination, they will receive a provisional admission letter. This letter may be used in a search for scholarships.
Frequently Asked Questions
Find all FAQs related to application and admission to this programme here
Conditional admission to the MSc Programme in Sanitation may be granted to applicants who provide:
- A bachelor degree at level B/B+ (US system) or 2nd upper (British system) in an appropriate field. Exceptions can be made if a candidate is below this level, but has a substantial experience in the field of sanitation and/or has a strong motivation to join the programme.
- A good command of the English language, if this is not the first language. All non-native English-speaking applicants must satisfy the English language requirements for IHE Delft's educational programmes.
Required documents for online application:
- Motivation statement: for a successful application you are obliged to use the following template for your motivation statement. If you do not use this template your application will not be considered.
- Certified copies of relevant degrees/diplomas.
- Certified copies of academic transcripts. Authenticated or certified copies are copies with an official stamp to verify that the copies are true copies of original documents. This official stamp may be from one of the following: a solicitor/notary, the educational institution from where the student gained the diplomas or the local council/local authority/local government office.
- Contact details of two referees who may best judge your academic and/or professional abilities. You have to mention the following details of the referee: Full name, Relation between the referee and yourself, Phone number and E-mail address.You need to upload this information in the application form where you have to upload a recommendation letter. We do not require the recommendation letter itself. We may contact one or both or referees during the admission process.
- Copy of your passport is necessary.
- Copy of results of English language test score
Note: all documents are required to be in English, or officially translated into English.
- Submit your online application for admission.
- If your application is complete, and motivation statement and your bachelor degree meet the requirements, you will receive a conditional admission letter.
- If you comply with the admission requirements, you will receive a conditional admission letter and thereafter you will receive another e-mail where you will be given login details via which you will be granted access to the Preparatory Courses (1) of Microbiology and Chemistry for the MSc in Sanitation.
- After you have successfully passed the entrance examination (2) you will receive a provisional admission letter.
- Final admission depends on certification of financial support. Please read the information on scholarships or confirm your funding via other means.
(1)The study load per preparatory online course is approximately 28 hours, and is assessed by an entrance examination.
(2) The examination is computer based, online, composed of approximately 40 questions and has a time limit of two hours. Before starting the entrance exam please ensure a good internet connection, and install the last version of java script on your browser (Google Chrome or Mozilla is preferred).
The entrance exam can only be taken twice and with a period of two weeks in between. In order to obtain the academic admission letter, you will need to pass the exams for the preparatory courses on Chemistry and Microbiology with a grade of 6 or higher. The deadline for submission of entrance exam results may depend on the type of funding. Please check this overview. We strongly advise you not to wait till the last moment. A staff member of IHE Delft will be available for questions on the preparatory course material via the preparatory courses platform.
After you have satisfactory passed both entrance examinations, you will receive a provisional admission letter or a conditional admission if you still need to satisfy the English requirements.