Participants are expected to be professionals, preferably with several years of relevant work experience. They may be involved in topics directly or indirectly related to water management and from the water sector or other relevant sectors, such as current or future water managers, decision-makers and others involved in dealing with or interested in the fields of planning, regulating, and managing access, allocation, and control of water resources and services at various scales. Other categories include civil servants from ministries involved in water management, diplomatic staff, local authorities, river basin organizations, professionals from the UN and other international organizations, local and international NGOs, water users associations, universities and research institutes, and consultants. Another possible category is professionals involved in dispute resolution wanting to include water-related issues to their portfolio of activities. In addition, motivated individuals from another background wanting to change career orientation and work in this field, will also be welcome.
Start: 01 August 2021
Application deadline: 30 April 2021
- Articulate the complexities of socio-natural processes
- Discuss and compare theories and dimensions of conflict and its avoidance, management and resolution
- Critically analyse water disputes (including actors, policies, institutions, historical, social and bio-physical processes
- Identify and analyse issues, challenges and potential conflicts of water allocation and access to water resources at different scales
- Use an interdisciplinary approach to critically assess and evaluate conflict management tools and techniques available to deal with water-related disputes
- Apply conflict management tools and design conflict resolution processes with the aim of mitigating water management disputes
- Research the selection and application of adequate methodologies and techniques of water conflict management tools and formulate well-founded conclusions and recommendations
Visit www.waterdiplomacymaster.org for more information about the programme.