The partnership between Rotary and IHE Delft, started in 2011, will celebrate exceeding 100 scholarships granted, with the new batch of funded students who arrived in Delft in October. In fact, 117 students from more than 40 countries will have been awarded scholarships with the arrival of the new students. The scholars have pursued or are following Master programmes in urban water and sanitation, water science & engineering, water management and governance programmes.
The strategic partnership between Rotary and IHE Delft aims to tackle the world’s water and sanitation challenges, by increasing the number of trained professionals to devise, plan, and implement solutions in developing and emerging countries. Through this partnership, a limited number of scholarships are awarded annually for graduate students. These scholarships are designed to promote long-term productive relationships between Rotarians and highly skilled water and sanitation professionals in their communities.
In conjunction with celebrating this important milestone, Rotary and IHE Delft are creating a new alumni group, which, in addition to Rotary IHE Delft scholars, will also welcome IHE Delft alumni who are Rotarians.
Dr. Harriette Verwey (Regional Rotary Foundation coordinator,) who formally launched the group on 17th October said: “We are excited that what began as a partnership between The Rotary Foundation in the U.S.A. and IHE Delft, has now become a grassroots initiative supported by many Rotary Clubs and Districts, who all decided that the work of IHE Delft in educating future water leaders is a valuable venture, worthy of effort and energy to provide scholarships to good students. This is then supported throughout the broader Rotary organization, with match-funding provided to generate as many scholarships as possible, to contribute to solving the world’s water problems."
The goals of the new alumni group
- Connect all Rotary scholarship alumni (Rotary IHE Delft fellowship recipients, Water and Peace Rotary sponsored graduates, IHE Delft alumni who are Rotarians) around the world
- Provide a portal to share professional experiences and needs
- Increase interaction and communication among Rotary Alumni, Rotary International, Local Rotary clubs and IHE Delft
- Promote Rotary IHE Delft scholarships worldwide
- Increase cooperation in local projects
- Inform about cooperation and actions locally after return to their home country
- Provide links for new Rotary-sponsored students with alumni in their countries, before arrival in Delft, for advice and orientation.