The course targets professionals in water treatment companies, consulting agencies, ministries, and equipment suppliers. Preferably participants should have a background on: civil, chemical, environmental, or sanitary engineering.
Dates, Fee, ECTS
Start: 02 September 2019
End: 10 January 2020
ECTS credit points: 5
Deadline IHE application: 01 September 2019 - 23.59 (CET)
Course fee: € 896
Course is cancelled
Start: 07 September 2020
End: 15 January 2021
Deadline IHE application: 06 September 2020 - 23.59 (CET)
Course fee: € 1035
VAT is not included in the course fee
The course covers the following subjects:
- Desalination and membrane related technologies.
- Water sources, applications, capacities and cost.
Ultra- and microfiltration
- Principles. Membrane materials, pore size, flux, normalizing permeability, and fouling mechanisms.
- Overview ultra- and micro-filtration elements and systems.
- Fouling in MF/UF systems, fouling control and pre-treatment.
Reverse osmosis (and nano-filtration)
- Principles. Flux, salt passage, rejection and concentration polarization.
- Overview of RO and NF membranes and elements. Single and multiple staging.
- Summarizing process design of RO systems with spiral wound elements.
- Osmotic pressure, Net driving pressure.
- Permeate quality and flux.
- Normalizing data in RO and NF systems in practice.
- Fouling in RO and NF systems. Spacer and bundle fouling.
- Suspended and colloidal matter, iron and manganese, biofouling, organic fouling and scaling.
- Particulate fouling and pre-treatment (Fouling due to suspended and colloidal matter. Mechanisms of fouling. Parameters to predict fouling. SDI/MFI (0.45) and MFI-UF. Value of fouling predictions with SDI/MFI (0.45) in RO/NF and UF systems.)
- Fouling due to algae and Transparent exo polymers in RO/NF and UF systems.
- Pre-treatment in practice for removal of suspended and colloidal matter for RO/NF.
- Bio-fouling and pre-treatment
- Pre-treatment for bio-fouling, principles, parameters AOC and BDOC, membrane fouling simulator, biocides.
- Fouling due to organic matter. Oil compounds, anti-scalants and coagulant aids.
- Scaling and anti-scalants (Principles of scaling and prediction with computer program. Manual calculations of scaling due to silica, calcium, barium strontium sulphate and calcium fluoride.)
- Calculation of the Stiff and Davis Index to predict scaling of calcium carbonate (Scaling in seawater reverse osmosis. Scaling control, monitoring and anti-scalants.)