The course is directed at engineers and scientists working in the urban or industrial water field and wanting to have a better grasp at the efficient dealing with water. As such it is of interest to engineers and scientists in the fields of urban, municipal and industrial sanitation, water-related chemistry, biologists, water resources, process design and implementation, etc.
Participants should possess a BSc degree in an area related to environmental engineering and science, chemical engineering, industrial engineering, chemistry, biotechnology, public health, etc. Professional experience in the water or waste management field helps to fully understand the concepts of cleaner production, sustainable consumption and the different case-studies presented. Communication with the instructor, active participation in forum discussions and submission of assignments are required in this course.
Dates, Fee, ECTS
Start: 03 May 2021
End: 03 September 2021
Duration: 18 weeks
Deadline IHE application: 02 May 2021 - 23.59 (CET)
Course fee: € 1065
VAT is not included in the course fee
- Suggest options for preventing pollution in the urban and industrial settings
- Describe the responsibilities of companies for their impact on environmental resources and assess the environmental impact of products and processes
- Compare different methods for industrial wastewater treatment and resource recovery
- Give examples for the applications of environmental management systems in the industrial context
- Indicate how the sustainable use of resources can be beneficial for reducing environmental burden(s)
- Analyze the different system tools that support industrial ecology and make basic calculations related to life cycle analysis
- Categorize products designed for sustainability based on their contribution towards the circular economy of a country
This online course is to be completed in 4 months at 8 study hours per week. The online learning environment is used for downloading training material and communication. Communication with fellow-students and course moderators can be posted on the 'Ask-the-trainer' page or on the discussion forum eliciting responses from fellow participants.
- General introduction
- Introduction to cleaner production
- Environmental impact assessment
- Environmental management systems
- Urban water management
- Sustainable nutrient management
- Industrial water management
- Environmental management at IHE Delft
- Group study on industrial production processes
- Water factory
It is possible to receive ECTS Credit Points by taking an exam at the end of the course (cost of exam included in tuition fee).