The course is designed for professionals actively involved in the urban water cycle and/or wastewater treatment or those who have an interest in model application from a research point of view.
Basic knowledge of urban drainage and sewerage, wastewater treatment processes, biochemistry and microbiology is required for successful completion of the course.
PrerequisitesBasic knowledge of urban drainage and sewerage, wastewater treatment processes, biochemistry and microbiology is required for successful completion of the course.
Dates, Fee, ECTS
Start: 02 May 2022
End: 02 September 2022
Deadline IHE application: 01 May 2022 - 23.59 (CET)
Course fee: € 1065
VAT is not included in the course fee
- To understand the history and development of computer models applied for wastewater treatment plants
- To apply the modelling tool AQUASIM to describe processes and parameters in different wastewater treatment systems
- To analyse the output of the modelling results
- To evaluate the insights obtained by modelling compared to other approaches
- Introduction to modelling of sanitation systems: Z. Vojinovic, M. Henze, C.M. Hooijmans
- Urban drainage and sewerage: A. Pathirana, D. Brdjanovic
- Activated sludge systems: D. Brdjanovic, M.C.M. van Loosdrecht, C. Fall
- Membrane Bioreactors (MBR): D. Saroj
- Anaerobic digestion: J.B. van Lier, N. Mahmoud
- Biofilm systems: E. Morgenroth
- Ponds and wetlands: D. Rousseau, C.M. Hooijmans, L. Sah
Participants complete the internet based curriculum in a period of about four months with a workload of 140 hours. A participant is expected to spend about 8 hours per week on average through reading, discussion and assignments. The curriculum consists of narrated or video recorded lectures available for those registered for the online course, and of lecture handouts and assignments.
The course includes access to the course materials as well as individual guidance and mentoring during the course. The maximum number of participants is 20. The course material is also provided compiled in a DVD package. Most of the material is also used for teaching in the Sanitary Engineering specialisation of the IHE Delft’s Master Program in Urban Water and Sanitation. Discounts apply as follows: 30% to IHE Delft alumni, 10% to UN family staff members, 10% to groups of 5 or more – provided that the courses start at the same time and group application has been sent.