The course is designed for professionals involved in planning, design, construction, operation and maintenance and management of urban drainage and sewerage systems, as well as researchers and modelers in the field of urban drainage and sewerage
Dates, Fee, ECTS
Start: 07 January 2019
End: 10 May 2019
ECTS credit points: 5
Deadline IHE application: 06 January 2019 - 23.59 (CET)
Course fee: € 896
VAT is not included in the course fee
- Describe the purpose, need and importance of urban drainage and discuss the current challenges posed by urbanization and climate change towards sustainable and resilience cities.
- Describe different types of sewer systems, their advantages and disadvantages as well as their criteria for design, construction, and operation and maintenance and applicability.
- Describe the hydrological processes relevant to urban stormwater and the impacts of urbanization on hydrological processes and the generation of urban runoff.
- Calculate and analyze quantity and quality characteristics of stormwater and wastewater originating from urban environments as a basis for design, operation and maintenance of urban drainage and sewerage systems.
- Determine the type of data required for urban drainage management i.e analyses of spatial and temporal data, design standards and regulations, and public health for proper design, simulation and operation of urban drainage and sewerage systems.
- Develop and calculate basic drainage and sewerage system designs.
- Explain components of an urban drainage system model, develop a simple model for hydrodynamic analysis of a drainage system, interpret model results and use them for decision making purposes ( i.e. design, renewal and upgrading of urban drainage systems)
- Introduction to urban drainage
- Types of sewer systems
- Urban hydrology
- Urban hydraulics
- Wet weather flow characteristics
- Dry weather flow characteristics
- Data collection and processing for urban drainage management
- Design of urban drainage systems
- Modelling of urban drainage systems
- Advanced topics in urban drainage
- Case Studies