The course is designed for professionals involved in planning, design, construction, operation and maintenance and management of urban drainage and sewerage systems, as well as researchers and modelers in the field of urban drainage and sewerage
Knowledge of hydrology and hydraulics are required for successful completion of the course.
Dates, Fee, ECTS
Start: 09 January 2023
End: 12 May 2023
Deadline IHE application: 01 January 2023 - 23.59 (CET)
Course fee: € 1065
VAT is not included in the course fee
- Discuss the current challenges in urban drainage and sewerage systems posed by urbanization and climate change towards sustainable and resilience cities.
- Describe different types of sewer systems, their advantages and disadvantages as well as their criteria for design, construction, and operation and maintenance and applicability.
- Describe the hydrological processes relevant to urban stormwater and the impacts of urbanization on hydrological processes and the generation of urban runoff.
- Analyse the quantity and quality characteristics of stormwater and wastewater originating from urban environments as a basis for design, operation and maintenance of urban drainage and sewerage systems.
- Determine the type of data required for urban drainage management i.e analyses of spatial and temporal data, design standards and regulations, and public health for proper design, simulation and operation of urban drainage and sewerage systems.
- Develop basic drainage and sewerage system designs.
- Analyse model results of a urban drainage system developed with a hydrodynamic tool (i.e. SWMM) for decision making purposes ( i.e. design, renewal and upgrading of urban drainage systems)
- Introduction to urban drainage
- Types of sewer systems
- Urban hydrology
- Urban hydraulics
- Wet weather flow characteristics
- Dry weather flow characteristics
- Data collection and processing for urban drainage management
- Design of urban drainage systems
- Modelling of urban drainage systems
- Advanced topics in urban drainage
- Case Studies