The Water and Environmental Law and Policy online course targets water and environmental professionals (e.g., lawyers, engineers, hydrologists, social scientists, policy-makers, etc.).
The course provides a learning experience which guides participants to explore the role of law, policy and politics at the local, national, regional and international level to address the complexities of the relationship between water and environmental issues, trade-offs and conflicts in order to achieve sustainable development and water and environmental justice.
Key words: Multilevel Law, Multilevel Governance, Water, Environment, Policy, Law and Politics
- Good working knowledge of English
- At least have a bachelor's degree, and
- Affinity with water related issues
Dates, Fee, ECTS
Start: 27 February 2023
End: 16 June 2023
Deadline IHE application: 19 February 2023 - 23.59 (CET)
Course fee: € 1065
VAT is not included in the course fee
- Explain concepts/frameworks of inter(national) water & environmental law and policy; how they influence inter(national) and local decision-making & vice-versa with respect to conflicts regarding natural resources use, allocation, distribution & governance
- Analyse inter(national), regional and local water and environmental problems and how law, policies, politics, institutional arrangements, principles and instruments can be used to address these water and environmental justice and sustainability problems
- Apply the analytical academic skills acquired to analyse interrelations between various water and environmental issues
- Evaluate how best multi-scale water and environmental problems can be addressed in a (un)just globalizing world.
The 16 weeks of the course are divided into 5 sub-courses (units) that cover the following subjects:
- Introduction to the Water and Environmental Law and Policy (2 units)
- Theory & Methods in Law and Policy (2 units)
- International Water and Environmental Governance (6 units)
- National Water and Environmental Governance (3 units)
- Dispute Resolution and Prevention (3 units)