Early or mid-career professionals working in the field of water resources engineering/ management, hydrology, agricultural engineering, irrigation engineering/ management or closely related field with an interest to expand knowledge on water resources assessment and agricultural water demand.
PrerequisitesBSc or equivalent in water resources, hydrology, civil engineering, agricultural engineering or closely related fields.
Dates, Fee, ECTS
Start: 07 September 2020
End: 15 January 2021
Duration: 16 weeks
ECTS credit points: 5
Deadline IHE application: 05 September 2020 - 23.59 (CET)
Course fee: € 1035
Start: 06 September 2021
End: 14 January 2022
Deadline IHE application: 05 September 2021 - 23.59 (CET)
Course fee: € 1035
VAT is not included in the course fee
- Describe fundamental hydrological processes, interpret hydrological time series data and carry out commonly required analyses.
- Estimate evapotraspiration and water demands for selected crops.
- Carry out catchment water balance and hydraulic computation of flow through open channels.
- Identify groundwater occurrence, flow and storage, estimate groundwater recharge and compute groundwater balance.
- Analyse groundwater flow in aquifers and to pumping wells.
- Formulate plans for groundwater development.
Topics of the course include:
- Global hydrological cycle: Hydrological cycle, water fluxes and storages, global water resources.
- Surface water resources in a river basin: a) Hydrological data analysis (precipitation, discharge), b) evapotranspiration, crop water demand, c) catchment water balance, flow through open-channels.
- Groundwater resources assessment: Aquifer and parameters, groundwater movement, groundwater balance.
- Groundwater flow analysis: steady-state groundwater flow in acquires and groundwater flow to pumping wells.
- Groundwater resources development: assessment of groundwater resources availability and formulation of plans for sustainable development.