Dr. Peter van der Steen is Associate Professor of Environmental Technology. He holds a MSc degree from Wageningen University in the Netherlands (1994) and a PhD degree from the Ben Gurion University of the Negev in Israel (2001). He has specialised in the following areas:
Sustainable wastewater treatment and reuse
- Photobioreactors (Photo-Activated Sludge Process)
- Waste Stabilisation Ponds
- Anaerobic technologies
Integrated urban water management
- Strategic planning
- Indicator systems
- Technology selection
- Quantitative Microbial Risk Assessment
Van der Steen is active as researcher and as educator. Educational activities include lecturing in the above mentioned topics, programme management activities in the Environmental Science programme at IHE Delft. He is also working with universities in Palestine (PADUCO) to improve MSC curricula and on research about treatment of Olive Mill Wastewater.
Currently he is guiding the following PhD research projects:
- Angelica Rada - Microalgae for biotreatment of wastewater and recovery of algal biomass for co-production of biofuels.
- Alberto Galvis - Development of a technology selection model for pollution prevention and control in the municipal water cycle.
Nathan D. Manser, Meng Wang, Sarina J. Ergas, James R. Mihelcic, Arnold Mulder, Jack van de Vossenberg, Jules B. van Lier and Peter van der Steen (2016) Biological Nitrogen Removal in a Photo-Sequencing Batch Reactor with an Algal-Nitrifying Bacterial Consortium and Anammox Granules. Environmental Science & Technology Letters. DOI: 10.1021/acs.estlett.6b00034
Nezar Al-Atawneh, Nidal Mahmoud , Peter van der Steen and Piet N.L. Lens (2016) House onsite sewage management in partially sealed cesspit. Accepted for publication in Journal of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for Development
Peter Emmanuel Cookey, Thammarat Koottatep, Peter van der Steen and Piet N. L. Lens (2016) Public health risk assessment tool: strategy to improve public policy framework for onsite wastewater treatment systems (OWTS). Journal of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for Development, 6, 1, 74-88.
- Meng Wang, Han Yang, Sarina J. Ergas and Peter van der Steen (2015) A novel shortcut nitrogen removal process using an algal-bacterial consortium in a photo-sequencing batch reactor (PSBR), Water Research 87, 38–48.
- Lucy Tembo, Assela Pathirana, Peter van der Steen and Chris Zevenbergen (2015) Flexible Engineering Designs for Urban Water Management in Lusaka, Zambia. Accepted for publication Water Science and Technology. doi:10.2166/wst.2015.354
- Peter van der Steen , Kuntarini Rahsilawati, Angelica Rada, Carlos M. Lopez-Vazquez and Piet Lens (2015) A new photo-activated sludge system for nitrification by an algal-bacterial consortium in a photo-bioreactor with biomass recycle, Water Science and Technology, 72, 3, 443-50.
- Galvis, A., Zambrano, D. A., van der Steen, N. P. and Gijzen, H. J. (2014) Evaluation of pollution prevention options in the municipal water cycle. Journal of Cleaner Production 66, 599-609.
- Katukiza A., Ronteltap, M. van der Steen, P., Foppen, J.W. and Lens P. (2014) Quantification of microbial risks to human health caused by waterborne viruses and bacteria in an urban slum. Journal of Applied Microbiology 116, 2, 447–463.
- Barbara Borst, Nidal Mahmoud, Peter van der Steen and Piet Lens (2013) Urban water balancing in a partly sewered city to study wastewater pollution loads and groundwater pollution - application to Nablus-East, Palestine. Urban Water Journal 10, 6, 434-446.
- Trinh Thi Long, Duong Cong Chinh, Peter Van Der Steen and Piet Lens (2013) Exploring the potential for wastewater reuse in agriculture as a climate change adaptation measure for Can Tho City, Vietnam. Agricultural Water Management, 128, 43-54.
- N.G.A.I. Karya, N.P. van der Steen and P.N.L. Lens (2013) Photo-oxygenation to support nitrification in an algal–bacterial consortium treating artificial wastewater. Journal Bioresource Technology 134, 244–250.
- Trinh Thi Long, Duong Cong Chinh, Peter Van Der Steen and Piet Lens (2013) Climate change adaptation indicators to assess wastewater management and reuse options in the Mekong Delta, Vietnam. Water Resources Management 27, 5, 1175-1191.
- Ewinur Machdar, Peter van der Steen, Liqa Raschid–Sally and Piet Lens (2013) Application of QMRA to analyze the public health risk from drinking water supply in a low income area in Accra, Ghana. Science of the Total Environment 449, 134–142.
- Tong Thi Hoang Duong, Avner Adin, David Jackman, Peter van der Steen and Kala Vairavamoorthy (2011) Urban water management strategies based on a total urban water cycle model and energy aspects - Case study for Tel Aviv. Urban Water Journal, 8(02), pp. 103 - 118.
- Babu M.A., N.P. van der Steen, C.M. Hooijmans and H.J. Gijzen (2011) Nitrogen mass balances for pilot-scale biofilm stabilization ponds under tropical conditions. Bioresource Technology 102, 3754–3760.
- Babu M.A., E.M.A. Hes, N.P. van der Steen, C.M. Hooijmans and H.J. Gijzen (2010) Nitrification Rates of Biofilms in Algae Wastewater Stabilization Ponds Under Light and Dark conditions. Ecol. Eng., 36, 1741–1746.
- H. Labite, I. Lunani, N.P. van der Steen, K. Vairavamoorthy, P. Drechsel and P. Lens (2010) Quantitative Microbial Risk Analysis to evaluate health effects of interventions in the urban water system of Accra, Ghana. Journal of Water and Health 8 ,3, 417-430.
- Mohamed E.M. Mahgoub, N. Peter van der Steen, Khaled Abu-Zeid and Kala Vairavamoorthy. (2010) Towards Sustainability in Urban Water: A Life Cycle Analysis of the Urban Water System of Alexandria City, Egypt. Journal of Cleaner Production 18, 1100–1106