PhD Defence Jakia Akter

  • 29 Sep 2022
  • 14:30 - 16:30
  • TU Delft Aula, Mekelweg 5, Senaatszaal
Western Europe
Delft, The Netherlands

On Thursday 29 September 2022, the PhD Defence and Awarding Ceremony of Ms. Jakia Akter from Bangladesh, will take place. Her promotor is Professor Dano Roelvink and her co-promotor Dr. Mick van der Wegen.

The title of the thesis is

Modelling centuries of geo-morphological development of the Ganges-Brahmaputra-Meghna Delta

The defence will take place at the TU Delft Aula, Mekelweg 5, Senaatszaal & via Live Stream link (not available yet, provided later)

14.30 – 14.45            Presentation

15.00 – 16.30            Public defence & Awarding ceremony

Research summary

The Ganges-Brahmaputra-Meghna (GBM) Delta is a good example of a large estuarine system with sparse data. This study describes the development and validation of a morphodynamic process-based model (Delft3D) as a tool to predict the dynamic system as a response to climate change, sea-level rise, subsidence and other influences. The modelled sediment transport of the Ganges and Jamuna systems is between 200 and 1100 million ton/year, which is in line with observations. On an annual basis sand accounts for less than 20% of the sediment load in the system with the remaining sediment being much finer. Analysis of modelled bed level changes over time reveals that only a few river systems are in an aggrading phase. The 2D model exhibits that about 22% of the supplied sediment deposits in the delta system on floodplains and tidal plains, whereas the remaining 78% of the sediment causes subaquatic delta progradation or is lost in the deep ocean bed. Although the model does not reproduce all natural phenomena at all spatial scales, it will be a valuable tool to describe and explore the morphodynamic development of the GBM Delta over decadal to centennial timescales for macro-scale understanding, planning, and management.

Share

Connect with us

Never miss a thing!