The PhD programme is at the core of research at IHE Delft. PhD candidates undertake scientific research structured around themes addressing key societal challenges: research that is problem-focused, solution-orientated and often directly related to water challenges in the candidate’s own country or region. In total close to 90 PhD candidates from around the world are enrolled in the programme, forming an active and supportive PhD community.
You will be guided by a supervisory team consisting of research staff from IHE Delft, partner universities in the Netherlands, and researchers from abroad. All PhD studies are linked to partner universities and the SENSE Research School, which further enrich the PhD experience and expand the available resources. You will have the opportunity of interacting with roughly 200 new MSc participants each year, some of whom may collaborate in your research. And many additional opportunities for collaboration are available in IHE Delft’s global network of partner institutions
The PhD programme of IHE Delft offers PhD candidates the opportunity to become a highly qualified researcher and skilled professional in an internationally oriented environment. You work together with our academic staff and benefit from our broad network of water researchers from all over the world while dealing with topics related to water and development in all its different facets.
During your PhD programme you contribute to problem-oriented research connected to one of the projects the institute is involved in. You could define your own research topic within IHE Delft’s research themes as well.
What can you expect?
- Research in a diverse enabling environment of international staff, MSc students and PhD candidates from many countries across the globe. IHE Delft truly is an international and vibrant hub with people from a wide array of religious, ethical and cultural backgrounds, and with an equal gender balance – a place where the water world meets.
- Supervision and support by renowned water experts; IHE has more than 60 years of experience in developing capacities in the water sector. Many of the Institute’s staff members are world renowned experts in their field.
- Follow a tailor-made Doctoral Education programme focused on your learning wishes and needs
- As an IHE PhD candidate you are member of the SENSE Research School for Socio-Economic and Natural Sciences of the Environment. This academic network of the environmental research institutes of ten Dutch universities and research organisations carries out disciplinary and multidisciplinary research programmes aimed at an advanced understanding of environmental problems and offers advanced training to PhD candidates in this field.
- Studying fully in English
- Meeting peers from your own region
- Access to data, models, tools and equipment
What do we expect from you?
- Candidates for the PhD programme at IHE Delft should have an MSc degree with high qualifications.
- An academic level of English language in both speaking and writing is essential. All non-native English-speaking applicants must satisfy the English language requirements for IHE Delft's educational programmes.
- A well written research proposal
- To play an active role in our PhD community by participating in and initiating various events
- To work as an independent researcher and act as a team member, as you are doing your research in collaboration with your supervisory team
- Stay in touch with us via our PhD alumni network
What will you learn?
- You will become an independent researcher; an expert in your field and able to:
- Formulate scientific questions
- Conduct original scientific research
- Publish in leading journals
- Integrate your research in a framework of the corresponding scientific discipline and against the background of a broader scientific area.
- Place the research aims and research results in a societal context.
- Postulate concisely worded propositions in scientific and societal areas