Dr. Sajid Pareeth is a researcher/lecturer in remote sensing for land and water use monitoring with more than ten years of international experience. His main research focus in recent years has been to develop crop monitoring systems by satellite based estimation of water use and water productivity at different scales from a farm to basin. He contributes to several projects in Asia and Africa funded by European Union (EU), Dutch ministries, United Nation FAO and Asian Development Bank (ADB) on remote sensing for agricultural water management. Sajid obtained his PhD in Natural Sciences from Freie Universitat Berlin. He was a DAAD scholarship recipient in Germany during his MSc in Photogrammetry and Geoinformatics at HFT-Stuttgart.
Prior to IHE Delft, Sajid worked at the International Water Management Institute (IWMI), Colombo, Sri Lanka on multiple projects which includes mapping irrigated area for entire south asia using OBIA techniques, crop type mapping and designing/implementing spatial data portals. He has been working on a range of topics related to land and water resource monitoring, agricultural water management, drought monitoring and climate change in Asia, Europe and Africa using Earth Observation (EO) data and advanced remote sensing techniques. He has implemented automated workflows for monitoring cropping patterns, deriving Climate Data Records (CDR) from historical satellite data and server based computing for EO based big data and Machine learning algorithms. He use OSGeo tools for his work and develop trainings for Master's courses and Tailor Made Trainings (TMT). Sajid is also interested in data dissemination tools using OGC services and research outreach with interoperable ways to distribute data. Most recent tools developed are:
Main research interest is to explore Earth Observation (EO) data to monitor agricultural land and water use with a focus on irrigation systems around the world.
Sajid's research interests are:
- Operational monitoring systems leveraging the EO data using open source libs and HPC frameworks
- Water use and water productivity mapping and estimates at basin scale to individual farm for agricultural water management
- Crop type mapping using machine learning and feature extraction algorithms
- EO for monitoring Inland aquatic systems
- EO for SDG and impacts of climate change on food security
- Assimilation of remotely sensed data from different sensors and drones
- Spatio-temporal patterns and processes from historical satellite data to study land use land cover changes
- Pareeth, S., Karimi, P., (In prep). Satellite derived gap-free monthly Actual EvapoTranspiration using SEBAL and spatio-temporal interpolation for Urmia Lake Basin.
- Pareeth, S., Karimi, P., Shafiei, M., De Fraiture, C., 2019. Mapping Agricultural Landuse Patterns from Time Series of Landsat 8 Using Random Forest Based Hierarchial Approach. Remote Sensing 11. [IF: 4.1]
- Pareeth, S., Bresciani, M., Buzzi, F., Leoni, B., Lepori, F., Ludovisi, A., Morabito, G., Adrian, R., Neteler M., Salmaso N., 2016. Warming trends of perialpine lakes from homogenised time series of historical satellite and in-situ data. Science of The Total Environment. [IF: 5.6]
- Pareeth, S., Salmaso, N., Adrian, R., Neteler, M., 2016. Homogenized daily lake surface water temperature data generated from multiple satellite sensors: A long-term case study of a large sub-Alpine lake. Scientific Reports. 6, 31251; doi:10.1038/srep31251 [IF: 4.1]
- Pareeth, S., Delucchi, L., Metz, M., Rocchini, D., Devasthale, A., Raspaud, M., Adrian, R., Salmaso, N., Neteler, M., 2016. New Automated method to develop geometrically corrected time series of brightness temperatures from historical AVHRR LAC data. Remote Sensing 8, 169. [IF: 4.1]
- Marcantonio, M., Pareeth, S., Rocchini, D., Metz, M., Garzon-Lopez, C.X., Neteler, M., 2015. The integration of artificial night-time Lights in landscape ecology: A remote sensing approach. Ecological Complexity 22, 109–120. [IF: 1.7]
- Rocchini, D., Andreo, V., Forster, M., Garzon-Lopez, C.X., Gutierrez, A.P., Gillespie, T.W., Hauffe, H.C., He, K.S., Kleinschmit, B., Mairota, P., Marcantonio, M., Metz, M., Nagendra, H., Pareeth, S., Ponti, L., Ricotta, C., Rizzoli, A., Schaab, G., Zebisch, M., Zorer, R., Neteler, M., 2015. Potential of remote sensing to predict species invasions A modelling perspective. Progress in Physical Geography, 35: 211-226. [IF: 4.3]
- Nagendra, H., Nagendran, S., Paul, S., Pareeth, S., 2012. Graying, greening and fragmentation in the rapidly expanding Indian city of Bangalore. Landscape and Urban Planning 105, 400–406. [IF: 5.1]
- DeFries, R., Karanth, K.K., Pareeth, S., 2010. Interactions between protected areas and their surroundings in humandominated tropical landscapes. Biological Conservation 143, 2870–2880. [IF: 4.5]
- Nagendra, H., Rocchini, D., Ghate, R., Sharma, B., Pareeth, S., 2010. Assessing Plant Diversity in a Dry Tropical Forest: Comparing the Utility of Landsat and Ikonos Satellite Images. Remote Sensing 2, 478–496. [IF: 4.1]
- Nagendra, H., Paul, S., Pareeth, S., Dutt, S., 2009. Landscapes of Protection: Forest Change and Fragmentation in Northern West Bengal, India. Environmental Management 44, 853–864. [IF: 2.4]
- Nagendra, H., Pareeth, S., Sharma, B., Schweik, C.M., Adhikari, K.R., 2007. Forest fragmentation and regrowth in an institutional mosaic of community, government and private ownership in Nepal. Landscape Ecology 23, 41–54. [IF: 4.3]
- Nagendra, H., Pareeth, S., Ghate, R., 2006. People within parks—forest villages, land-cover change and landscape fragmentation in the Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve, India. Applied Geography 26, 96–112. [IF: 3.1]
- Karimi, P., Pareeth, S., Ariyama, J., Michailovsky, C. 2019. Rapid assessment of the water accounts in Urmia Lake basin. Project report submitted to FAO, IHE Delft, The Netherland.
- Pareeth, S., Karimi, P., 2018. Satellite derived gap-free monthly Actual EvapoTranspiration using SEBAL and spatiotemporal interpolation for Urmia Lake Basin, Iran, First phase methodology report submitted to FAO-IRAN
- Karimi, P., Pareeth, S., Shafiei, M., Dastgheib, A., 2018. Comprehensive Assessment of Water and Food Security in Mashhad Basin, Iran, submitted to lenM, Netherlands
- Siddiqui, A. S., Pareeth, S., Rajah, A., Wickramasinghe, D., Thapa, N., 2012. Spatial Database for Climate Change Vulnerability: Final report for the project on spatial database development and high resolution irrigated area mapping of South Asia, submitted to CCAFS.
- Pareeth, S., Karimi, P., Fraiture, C. D. An automated workflow to extract irrigated area land use from time series of satellite data. In: FOSS4G2018, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, 29 August - 2 September 2018
- Karimi, P., Pareeth, S., Fraiture, C. D, 2018. Remote sensing for agricultural water management (RS4AWM) educational course within post-graduate program for water professionals, Int. Arch. Photogramm. Remote Sens. Spatial Inf. Sci., XLII-5, 21-27, https://doi.org/10.5194/isprs-archives-XLII-5-21-2018.
- Pareeth, S., Karimi, P., Fraiture, C. D. Quantifying the trends and impacts of long term desiccation of large lakes using time series of historical satellite data. In: Asian Conference on Remote sensing (ACRS) 2017, Delhi, India, 23-27 October 2017
- Pareeth, S. Disappearing large lakes: Current ecological status and impact assessment using remote sensing. In: Applied geoinformatics for society and environment (AGSE) 2017, Kish, Iran, 29 April-4 May 2017
- Pareeth, S. et.al. Reporting the rapid warming of Italian lakes derived from homogenized multi-sensor satellite data. In: SIL 2016, Torino, Italy, 31 July-5 August 2016
- Pareeth, S., Salmaso, N., Adrian, R., Neteler, M. New homogenized daily lake surface water temperature data of three decades from multiple sensors confirm warming of large sub-alpine lake Garda (Poster). In: EGU 2016, Vienna, Austria, 17-22 April 2016
- Pareeth, S., Delucchi, L., Metz, M., Salmaso, N., Neteler, M. An open source framework for processing daily satellite images (AVHRR) over last28 years. In: FOSS4G-Europe, Como, Milan, Italy, 14-17 July 2015
- Pareeth, S., Delucchi, L., Metz, M., Buzzi, Fabio., Leoni, B., Ludovisi, A., Morabito, G., Salmaso, N., Neteler, M. Inter-sensor comparison of lake surface temperatures derived from MODIS, AVHRR and AATSR thermal bands. In: 35th EARSeL symposium 2015, Stockholm, Sweden, 15-19 June 2015
- Pareeth, S., Metz, M., Rocchini,D., Salmaso,N., Adrian,R., Neteler, M. (2014). Lake surface temperature as a proxy to climate change: Satellite observations versus multi probe data. Poster at Climate Symposium, Darmstadt, Germany, 13-17 October, 2014
- Pareeth, S., Metz, M., Neteler, M., Bresciani, M., Buzzi, F., Leoni, B., Ludovisi, A., Morabito, G., Salmaso, N. (2014). Monitoring and retrieving historical daily surface temperature of sub-alpine Lakes from space. In: 15th World Lake Conference (WLC15), ISBN: 978-88-96504-05-5.
- Pareeth, S., Metz,M., Rocchini,D., Salmaso,N., Neteler,M. (2013). Warm Lakes: retrieval of lake surface water temperature (LSWT) for large sub-alpine lakes from multiple sensor satellite imageries. In: XXI Congresso dell’AIOL, Lignano Sabbiadoro (Ud), 23-26 September 2013: 9.
- Pareeth, S., Metz,M., Rocchini,D., Salmaso,N., Neteler,M. (2013). Lake surface water temperature (LSWT) for large sub alpine lakes from satellite sensor derived surface temperature. In: EULAKES, Brescia, Italy, 30 May 2013
- Pareeth, S., Siddique, S., Wickramasinghe, D., Fernando, V., Developing a high resolution irrigated area map (HRIAM) for South Asia using segmentation and time series analysis, Applied geoinformatics for society and environment (AGSE), UTM, Malaysia, 16-19 July, 2012
- Pareeth, S., Siddique, S., Developing a Spatial Data Infrastructure for IWMI – Strategies and tools, Applied geoinformatics for society and environment (AGSE), JKUAT, Kenya, 14-19 August, 2011 14. Pareeth, S., Entrepreneurship in Geoinformatics: Deploying technologies over opportunities, Applied geoinformatics for society and environment (AGSE), hft-Stuttgart, Germany 13-18 July, 2009
- Pareeth, S., Nagendra, H., Forest Fragmentation in Protected Areas: Human Dimensions of Land Cover Change in Mahananda Wildlife Sanctuary and Baikunthapur Reserve Forest, First Annual Research Seminar, ATREE, Bangalore, 6-7 January, 2006
- Pareeth, S., Nagendra, H., Institutions, Protected Areas and Land Use – A Landscape Framework for Conservation in India, First Asia section meeting of the Society for Conservation Biology, Kathmandu, Nepal, 17-20 November, 2005