Seyedabdolhossein (Abdi) Mehvar was born in Tehran, Iran. He obtained his Bachelor‘s degree in 'Civil Engineering' from Iran in 2007. After a short stint at an Engineering consultancy company, he moved to the Netherlands and joined the double degree program of Saxion University of Applied Sciences in Enschede and obtained a second Bachelor’s degree in 'Civil Engineering' in 2011. Following his professional interest, Abdi then joined IHE Delft (at that time UNESCO-IHE) and obtained an MSc in 'Coastal Engineering and Port Development' in April 2014. After graduation, he worked with the EU ''RiscKit'' project team and developed his research on the validation of the XBeach model for wave overtopping discharge and run-up level, in collaboration of Deltares, Delft.
While working on this research project, he was offered a PhD position in the University of Twente, in collaboration with IHE Delft, in December 2014, which was partially funded by the AXA Research fund, and under IHE – IenM (Ministry of the Environment and Infrastructure of the Netherlands) corporation program. During his study, Abdi also contributed to the international projects in water sector such as ''CASCaDE'' (funded by USGS), ''NICHE-BGD-155'' (funded by NUFFIC), and ''CRisP'' (funded by ADB). His research interests include: quantification of climate change impacts on coasts; development of quantitative coastal risk assessment techniques; linkage between coastal hazards and their impacts on the monetary value of coastal ecosystem services; and maximizing the economic and social benefits of coastal wetlands.
Abdi Mehvar graduated on 24 January 2019. You can find the link to his thesis here: https://www.un-ihe.org/news/mr-seyedabdolhossein-mehvar-awarded-doctoral...
TopicQuantifying climate change driven environmental losses on coasts.
- Mehvar, S., Filatova, T., Syukri, I., Dastgheib, A., and Ranasinghe, R. (2018b). Developing a framework to quantify potential Sea level rise-driven environmental losses, a case study in Semarang coastal area, Indonesia. Environmental Science and Policy, 89, 216-230.
- Mehvar, S., Filatova, T., Dastgheib, A., de Ruyter van Steveninck, E., and Ranasinghe, R. (2018a). Quantifying Economic Value of Coastal Ecosystem Services, A Review. Journal of Marine Science and Engineering. 6(1), 5.
- Roelvink, D., McCall, R., Mehvar, S., Nederhoff, K., and Dastgheib, A. (2017). Improving predictions of swash dynamics in XBeach: The role of groupiness and incident-band runup. Coastal Engineering.
- Mehvar, S. (2014). Validation of XBeach model for wave overtopping discharge. MSc Thesis, WSE-HECEPD, Unesco-IHE, 14.
- Mehvar, S., Dastgheib, A., Bamunawala, J., Wickramanayake, M., and Ranasinghe, R. (2018d). Quantitative assessment of the environmental risk due to climate change-driven coastline recession, a case study in Trincomalee coastal area, Sri Lanka. Paper submitted to the Climate Risk Management (Under review).
- Mehvar, S., Filatova, T., Sarker, M. H., Dastgheib, A., and Ranasinghe, R. (2018c). Climate change driven Losses in Ecosystem Services of Coastal Wetlands, a case study in the West coast of Bangladesh. Paper submitted to the Journal of Ocean and Coastal Management (Under review).
* (Selected) Conference attendance and proceedings
- Mehvar, S., Dastgheib, A., and Ranasinghe, R. (2018). Potential inundation-driven changes in the value of coastal ecosystems in the Sundarbans region in Bangladesh. In 6th International Conference on Marine Science, Coastal Dynamics and Management, Dallas, Texas, USA.
- Mehvar, S., Dastgheib, A., Udo, K., and Ranasinghe, R. (2017). Valuation of the environmental damages due to climate change impacts in the coast of Central Java, Indonesia. In 3rd International Conference on Environment, Engineering & Energy, Toronto. Canada: Unique Conference Canada.
- Mehvar, S., Dastgheib, A., and Roelvink, J. (2015). Validation of XBeach model for wave run-up. In E-Proceedings of the 36th IAHR World Congress, The Hague, the Netherlands, 4743-4750.