Short courses are meant for professionals –or groups of professionals– with a specific area of interest and a limited amount of time. The focus and content of short courses vary from specialised and technical matters to challenges and approaches in management.
Didactical methods include lectures, assignments, individual or group exercises in the classroom, behind the computer, or in the laboratory. It’s all about active learning: each participant is responsible for his/her learning process and achievement. Active participation in all learning activities, assignments and exercises is essential, also for those who choose not to do an exam.
Fieldwork, excursions and field visits to relevant sites often are a part of a short course, allowing the participants to come into contact with practical examples of the theory offered. Through case studies, role-plays, debate and workshops, content is made more interactive, and experience that the participants already have is shared.
You should have a Bachelor Degree in a relevant field of study, preferably some years of working experience, and a good command of the English language to be admitted to the course. For a successful learning experience it is also essential to have basic skills in the use of computers and office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
How to apply
You can find an apply button on the page of each short course listed below. If you decide to apply, create an account, or use your existing account to log in. After logging in, you will need to enter your personal information, and upload a scan of your passport, CV, BSc degree and transcript. Your BSc degree and transcript should be in English, French or Spanish. Your CV must be (translated in) the English language.
Click here to read about MSP, OKP and more scholarships for short courses.
Read more about tailor made training here.
Discounts for 2022
Discounts on the tuition fee of online and short courses scheduled for 2022 apply to the following:
- 30% for IHE Delft Diploma alumni
- 10% for UN family staff members
- 10% for groups of 5 or more (provided that the course starts at the same time and a group application has been sent)
Discounts cannot be combined. Discounts for the courses scheduled in 2023 will be published on this page shortly.
Visit our Frequently Asked Questions section.
Upcoming Short Courses
IHE Delft offers a new range of short courses from 2023 onwards. Please check the list below for more information about each new course.
Short courseStart date End date
- Data Acquisition, Preprocessing and Modelling using HEC-RAS 19 Sep 2022 - 30 Sep 2022
- Data Acquisition, Preprocessing and Modelling using SWAT 19 Sep 2022 - 30 Sep 2022
- Data Acquisition, Preprocessing and Modelling using the PCRaster Python Framework 19 Sep 2022 - 30 Sep 2022
- Geostatistics for Water Resources and Environmental Science 19 Sep 2022 - 30 Sep 2022
- QGIS for Hydrological Applications 19 Sep 2022 - 23 Sep 2022
- Small Hydropower Development 19 Sep 2022 - 30 Sep 2022
- Hydraulic Modelling using HEC-RAS 26 Sep 2022 - 30 Sep 2022
- Morphological Modelling Using Delft3D 26 Sep 2022 - 30 Sep 2022
- Python for Geospatial Hydrological Applications 26 Sep 2022 - 30 Sep 2022
- River Basin Modelling using SWAT 26 Sep 2022 - 30 Sep 2022
- GIS and Remote Sensing Applications for the Water Sector 03 Oct 2022 - 14 Oct 2022
- Water Economics 03 Oct 2022 - 14 Oct 2022
- CASTT Adaptation Academy Course on Climate Change and Adaptation 10 Oct 2022 - 28 Oct 2022
- Implementing Environmental Flows to Support Sustainable Water Resources Management 14 Nov 2022 - 25 Nov 2022
- Financing Water Investments for Water Professionals 05 Dec 2022 - 09 Dec 2022
- Water Policy 23 Jan 2023 - 03 Feb 2023
- Water Quality Assessment and Monitoring 06 Feb 2023 - 24 Feb 2023
- Sanitation Resource Recovery 13 Feb 2023 - 24 Feb 2023
- Groundwater Resources and Treatment 01 May 2023 - 19 May 2023
- Water Infrastructure Asset Management 01 May 2023 - 12 May 2023
- Citizen Science for Water Management and Sustainable Development 15 May 2023 - 26 May 2023
- Stakeholders, Partnerships and Network Analysis 22 May 2023 - 02 Jun 2023
- Managing Resilient Water Utilities 29 May 2023 - 09 Jun 2023
- Environmental and Social Impact Assessment at Project and Strategic Levels 05 Jun 2023 - 16 Jun 2023
- Experimental Methods in Desalination and Membrane Technology 05 Jun 2023 - 16 Jun 2023
- Ecosystem Services Assessment for Informed Decision Making 19 Jun 2023 - 30 Jun 2023
- Remote Sensing for Agricultural Water Management 03 Jul 2023 - 14 Jul 2023
- Water Resources Planning under Changing Climate and Environment 03 Jul 2023 - 14 Jul 2023
- Using Open Data, QGIS and HEC-RAS for Hydraulic Modelling 09 Oct 2023 - 20 Oct 2023
- Small Hydropower Developments - From Planning to Design 23 Oct 2023 - 03 Nov 2023
- Small Hydropower Developments – From Planning to Design 23 Oct 2023 - 03 Nov 2023
- Water Economics 13 Nov 2023 - 24 Nov 2023
- Flood and Coastal Erosion Risk Assessment 20 Nov 2023 - 08 Dec 2023