Water, sanitation and hygiene professionals who are interested in international humanitarian responses. Previous experience in international humanitarian response is preferred.
Dates, Fee, ECTS
Start: 31 July 2017
End: 04 August 2017
ECTS credit points: 1
Course fee: € 950
- Receive an orientation on actual humanitarian contexts
- Understand mandates, priorities, and objectives of different organizations involved in humanitarian responses
- Get oriented on the specific business processes, rules and procedures
The training is designed as a simulation. You will be exposed to real-world situations and will have the opportunity to practice the new knowledge and skills, learn from other’s experiences in real emergencies and share own experiences. The course also features an evening programme.
The course covers the following topics:
- The general context, the interdisciplinary connections, and the scope of WASH in emergency
- Coordination principles, tools and skills
- Overview of UNICEF and UNHCR as organizations, their mandates and their commitments and priorities in emergencies
- Overview of the international legal framework, code of conduct and guiding principles of humanitarian action
- Principles and tools of risk management, contingency planning and disaster preparedness
- Resource management and mobilization, business processes, rules and procedures
- Standards applied by UNICEF, UNHCR and global cluster
- Acquisition, management and use of information for decision making, monitoring and reporting
- Emergency planning and management
- Facilitation, communication and management skills
The course is a product of a unique collaboration between three UN institutions: UNICEF, UNHCR and IHE Delft.