This course is designed for current and future water managers, decision-makers and others involved in water related conflict management and conflict resolution. Participants need to have a bachelor degree in a relevant subject (i.e. economics, social sciences, law, engineering, biology), be fluent in English and preferably have several years of relevant working experience. Dealing with conflicts, and water related conflicts, requires strong interpersonal skills as well as an understanding of the conflict at hand.
Participants need to have at least a bachelor degree in a relevant subject and preferably several years of relevant working experience in the field of water management, water cooperation or similar topics relating to natural resources and the environment.
Dates, Fee, ECTS
Start: 19 April 2021
End: 07 May 2021
Deadline IHE application: 18 March 2021 - 23.59 (CET)
Course fee: € 3000
VAT is not included in the course fee
- Understand and critically debate key concepts of water and environment related conflicts, including the complex interrelations between water-related risks and conflicts
- Assess and apply theoretical approaches explaining conflict and cooperation over (transboundary) water resources and water diplomacy practices
- Analyse the key legal and institutional mechanisms for conflict and cooperation at different levels, such as principles of international and national water law and river basin organizations
- Apply basic negotiation skills for water conflict management and cooperation to specific challenges and cases
The short course includes the following components:
- Introduction to water conflict analysis
- Negotiation processes
- Conflict transformation workshop
- Fundamentals of mediation
- Water conflict case studies at different levels
The course provides a mix of theory and practice, with particular attention on skills training. Lectures are combined with exercises and simulation games.
Oregon State University
The Israel Centre for Negotiation and Mediation
It is possible to take part in the examination of this short course. If you obtain a passing mark for this examination and return to IHE Delft within four years after completion of the short course to follow a full MSc programme, you will receive exemption for this short course/module. The costs for this exam are €250 extra and should be borne by yourself. Taking part in the examination is not compulsory.