Young and mid-career professionals, managers, engineers and technicians who have the ambition to judge, participate in and guide multi-disciplinary water resources planning studies.
Dates, Fee, ECTS
Start: 20 April 2020
End: 08 May 2020
Deadline IHE application: 19 March 2020 - 23.59 (CET)
Course fee: € 2910
VAT is not included in the course fee
- Explain basic concepts and notions in water resources planning.
- Describe major steps in the participatory and integrated water resources planning process.
- Identify and apply tools and models, such as stakeholder integration, environmental impact assessment (EIA), decision support systems, role plays and water system models, while engaging in water resources planning activities.
- Develop alternative water management strategies and compare and evaluate them by applying multi-criteria analysis.
- Discuss water resources planning and implementation in basins for specific context with special attention to basins in a developing country context.
Framework of Analysis for Water Resources Planning: Principles of integrated water resources planning. Planning scales and approaches. Comprehension of different frameworks used in water resources planning with focus on key steps in the planning process, such as situation and function analysis including multi-level water sector analysis, planning objectives and criteria, scenario and strategy development, role of modelling in water resources planning and multi-criteria analysis.
Stakeholder Participation in Water Resources Planning: Importance of stakeholder participation in the planning process, opportunities and limitations. Stakeholder analysis. Tools and methods for stakeholder participation in key steps of the planning process including participatory decision support systems. Negotiation and compensation in group decision making. Plan implementation and evaluation. The evolution of and experience with participatory and integrated planning methods will be demonstrated through case study examples.
Environmental Assessment: Environmental impacts of water resources development projects, principles and methods of environmental impact assessment, Applications of environmental impact assessment (EIA) and strategic environmental assessment (SEA) in water resources/environmental planning and management.