He graduated from Hefei University of Technology, China with BSc degree of environmental engineering in 1996. He participated the MSc program of hydrology and water resources from 2002 to 2004 at IHE Delft, delft, the Netherlands. Since 2009 December, he has taken part in the joint PhD research program established by the IHE Delft Institute for Water Education, the Netherlands and the China University of Geosciences (Beijing).
TopicQuantitative assessment of Groundwater and Surface water interactions in Erdos plateau, China
- Yang, Z., Zhou, Y., Wenninger, J., Uhlenbrook, S., Wan, L.: Simulation of Groundwater-Surface Water Interactions under Different Land Use Scenarios in the Bulang Catchment, Northwest China. Water, DOI 10.3390/w9115959, 2015, 7(11): 5959-5985.
- Yang, Z., Zhou, Y., Wenninger, J., Uhlenbrook, S.: A multi-method approach to quantify groundwater/surface water-interactions in the semi-arid Hailiutu River basin, northwest China. Hydrogeology Journal, DOI 10.1007/s10040-013-1091-z, 2014, 22(3),527-541
- Zhou, Y., Yang Z., Zhang D., Jin X., Zhang J.: Inter-catchment comparison of flow regime between the Hailiutu and Huangfuchuan rivers in the semi-arid Erdos Plateau, NW China. Hydrological Sciences Journal, DOI:10.1080/02626667.2014.892208, 2014 .
- Zhou, Y., Wenninger J., Yang Z., Yin L., Huang J., Hou L., Wang X., Zhang D., Uhlenbrook S.: Groundwater-surface water interactions, vegetation dependencies and implications for water resources management in the semi-arid Hailiutu River catchment, China---a synthesis. Hydrology & Earth System Sciences, 2013, 17(7),2435-2447.
- Jin, XM., Guo, RH., Zhang, Q., Zhou, Y., Zhang, DR., Yang, Z.: Response of vegetation pattern to different landform and water-table depth in Hailiutu River basin, Northwestern China. Environmental Earth Sciences, DOI:10.1007/s12665-013-2882-1, 2013: 1-10.
- Lou, Y., Yang, Z., Zhang, L., Li, X.: Analysis of the temperature distribution in Bailianya reservoir, Proceedings of 2013 IAHR Congress,© 2013 Tsinghua University Press, Beijing.
- Yang, Z., Liu, H., Gu, L.: Rational Utilization on Dredged Sludge with Heavy Metals in Xinbian River Conservancy Project, Proceedings of 2013 IAHR Congress,© 2013 Tsinghua University Press, Beijing.
- Yang, Z., Zhou, Y., Wenninger, J., and Uhlenbrook, S.: The causes of flow regime shifts in the semi-arid Hailiutu River, Northwest China, Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci, 16, 87-103, 2012
- Wang, H., Zhang, M., Zhu, H., Dang, X., Yang, Z., Yin, L., Hydro-climatic trends in the last 50 years in the lower reach of the Shiyang River Basin, NW China. CATENA 95:33–41. DOI: 10.1016/j.catena.2012.03.00
- Yang, Z., Zhou, Y., Wenninger, J., and Uhlenbrook, S.: Analysis of stream flow characteristics of the Hailiutu River in the central Yellow River, China, 2011, 783-786
- Yin, L., Hou, G., Huang, J., Li, Y., Wang, X., Zhi, Y., Zhou, Y.: Using chloride mass-balance and stream hydrographs to estimate groundwater recharge in the Hailiutu River Basin, NW China, 2011, 325-328
- Yang, Z., Cheng, X., Wang, C., and Dong, G.,: Bio restoration and rational utilization on heavy metals in dredged sludge from water conservancy projects, Proceeding of 4th International Yellow River Forum on Ecological Civilization and River Ethics, 2009, 2, pp 362-368
- Yang, Z., Liu, H.C., Wang, C., and Dong, G., : Water resources protection and water pollution control in Huai river basin. Proceeding of 1st international Asia-Europe environment technology transfer meeting, 2006, pp. 286-289, ISBN 3-936190-10-0
- Zhu, S.C., Yang, Z., :Research on water pollution and control for first stage of eastern route of south to north water diversion project. China environment hydraulics, 2006, pp. 369-373, China water conservancy and hydropower press, ISBN 7-5084-4090-0
- Tan, B.Q., Yang, Z., Shen, Z.S., and Wang, C.,: Evaluation on water quality under influence of sediment pollution in eastern route of south to north water diversion project. In: journal of Research of Environmental Sciences, 2003, 4, pp. 1-4, ISSN 1001-6929/CN11-1827/X
- Yang, Z., Liu, H.C., and Zhang, Z.G., : The application of Arcview in Huai river basin with case study of execution and management of electronic atlas. In: Proceeding of GIS application in water conservancy, 2001, pp. 341-347, Hohai university press, ISBN7-5630-1588-4 / TV.197
The PhD research focuses on quantifying the interaction between groundwater and surface water in a semi arid Hailiutu catchment, Northwest China. The influence of human activities (land use changes) on the catchment hydrology will be analyzed by carrying out statistic analysis method. The interactions between the groundwater and surface water will be studied by analyzing a set of field measurements such as hydraulic heads, temperature study, isotopic and chemical analysis of the samples during the rainfall event, and sub catchment water balance analysis.
Co-promotor: Dr. Yangxiao Zhou
Funding Source: The Asia Facility for China, China Scholarship Council
Employer: Institute of Huai River Water Resources Protection
Project: Partnership for research and education in water and ecosystem interactions