In 2012 Charlotte joined IHE Delft as professor Land and Water Development under the Land and Water Management department, leading the group on Water and Agriculture and affiliated to the Water Resources Management group at Wageningen University and Research (WUR). Since 2018 Charlotte is a member of the Rectorate as Vice Rector Academic & Student Affairs of IHE Delft, leading the effort of developing new MSc programmes on Water and Sustainable Development.
With a background in irrigation engineering and economics, her broad research and education interests include agricultural water management and food security; small scale and farmer-led irrigation development; irrigation perfomance assessment; irrigation water management; and ecosystem services and water pricing.
She holds a PhD in Civil Engineering (specialization Water Resources Management) from the University of Colorado in Boulder-USA, a MA in economics from the University of Colorado in Boulder-USA and a MSc in irrigation water engineering from Wageningen University, the Netherlands.
Charlotte has been involved as researcher and project leader in several research and capacity development projects related to small scale irrigation, climate finance, irrigation and wetlands, watershed development, irrigation performance, irrigation management transfer and modeling of global water supply and demand. She was instrumental in the development and application of the global water and food model which was applied for global scenarios on water, food and the environment as part of the Comprehensive Assessment on Water Management in Agriculture.
Besides research, she fulfilled several management positions & roles related to education and research, being Head of Department, chair of the Examination Board, chair of the MSc Programme Committee, Head of Regional Office in West-Africa, Theme Leader and Group Head.
Visit Charlotte de Fraiture's profile on Google Scholar
Most Cited Peer Reviewed Publications
- De Fraiture, C.; Y, Liao, M, Giordano. 2008. Biofuels and agricultural water use: blue impacts of green energy. Water Policy 10(S1): 67-81
- Lundqvist, J., C de Fraiture, D. Molden. 2008. Saving water: From Field to Fork- Curbing losses and wastage in the food chain. SIWI Policy Brief. Swedish International Water Institute: Stockholm
- Rockstrom, J John Williams, Gretchen Daily, Andrew Noble, Nathanial Matthews, Line Gordon, Hanna Wetterstrand, Fabrice de Clerck, Mihir Shah, Pasquale Steduto, Charlotte de Fraiture, Nuhu Hatibu, Olcay Unver, Jeremy Bird, Lindiwe Sibanda and Jimmy Smith. 2016. Sustainable intensification of agriculture for human prosperity and global sustainability. Ambio 46(1): 1-14.
- De Fraiture, C.; D. Wichelns. 2010. Satisfying future water demands for agriculture. Agricultural Water Management 97(4): 502–511.
- Molden, DJ, R Sakthivadivel, CJ Perry, C de Fraiture, WH Kloezen. 1998. Indicators for comparing performance of irrigated agricultural systems. IWMI research report 20 (26p.) IWMI Sri Lanka.
Recent Journal Articles
- SA Theol, B Jagers, FX Suryadi, C de Fraiture. 2021. Use of 2D/3D Models for Cohesive and Noncohesive Sediments in Irrigation Canals. Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering 147 (5), 05021002.
- A Purwanto, J Susnik, FX Suryadi, C de Fraiture. 2021. Quantitative simulation of the water-energy-food (WEF) security nexus in a local planning context in indonesia. Sustainable Production and Consumption 25, 198-216.
- AN Mersha, C de Fraiture, I Masih, T Alamirew. 2021. Dilemmas of integrated water resources management implementation in the Awash River Basin, Ethiopia: irrigation development versus environmental flows. Water and Environment Journal 35(1), 402-416.
- AEC Duker, TA Mawoyo, A Bolding, C de Fraiture, P van der Zaag. 2020. Shifting or drifting? The crisis-driven advancement and failure of private smallholder irrigation from sand river aquifers in southern arid Zimbabwe. Agricultural Water Management 241, 106342.
- E Fadul, I Masih, C De Fraiture, FX Suryadi. 2020. Irrigation performance under alternative field designs in a spate irrigation system with large field dimensions. Agricultural Water Management 231, 105989.