This Masters Programme is intended for mid-career professionals with a background in biological or environmental sciences, and with a special interest in one of the following topics: aquatic ecology, limnology, wetland ecosystems, or aquatic resources management.
Students who successfully complete the programme will be awarded the Master degree in Limnology and Wetland Management. This degree will be awarded jointly by Egerton University, BOKU and IHE Delft.
This specialization is a joint programme given with BOKU: University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Austria, and Egerton University, Kenya.
Start: 26 September 2022
Application deadline: 15 June 2022
After successfully completing this specialization, graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate and apply an understanding of the physical, chemical and biological structure and associated processes of inland aquatic ecosystems;
- Design sampling strategies for cost-effective effective monitoring of aquatic ecosystems, and to support clearly stated policy objectives;
- Understand the relationship between pressures from catchment land use, invasive species and fisheries exploitation, and the ecology of lakes, rivers and wetlands;
- Integrate potentially conflicting stakeholder objectives for the sustainable use of lakes, rivers and wetlands.
Application & Admission
Academic admission to IHE Delft MSc Programmes may be granted to applicants who provide evidence of having:
- A Bachelor degree at level B/B+ (US system) or 2nd upper (British system) in an appropriate field which has been awarded by a university of recognised standing, comparable in level with a Bachelor degree from a research university in the Netherlands. Exceptions can be made if a candidate is below this level, but has a substantial experience in the field of the programme and/or has a strong motivation to join the programme.
- A good command of the English language, if this is not the first language. All non-native English-speaking applicants must satisfy the English language requirements for IHE Delft's educational programmes.
- A strong motivation to successfully complete the programme.
Several years of professional experience in an area of work related to the specialisation is an asset.
You have to apply for admission to this programme to both IHE Delft and to Boku University. For IHE Delft's admission to the programme please apply online, the link to the application section of our website is available at the top of this page. For your application with Boku University, you can apply via IPGL's admission office.
You need to submit the following documents to IHE Delft:
- Certified copies of degrees/diplomas.
- Certified copies of academic transcripts. Authenticated or certified copies are copies with an official stamp to verify that the copies are true copies of original documents. This official stamp may be from one of the following: a solicitor/notary, the educational institution from where the student gained the diplomas or the local council/local authority/local government office.
- Two reference letters, preferably one from a person that can judge students' professional abilities and one from a person that can judge his/her academic abilities. One recommendation letter has to come from the current employer (if available) and another one from the university the student graduated from. Letters have to have an official letterhead and need to be signed.
- Motivation letter; explain in maximum 500 words why you wish to be admitted to the chosen programme and how it will benefit you in the future. The letter must show that you understand what the chosen programme is about.
- Copy of passport.
- Copy of results of English language test score (if required, see English language requirements).
Please note all documents are required to be in English, or officially translated into English.
One cannot apply for more than one programme per academic year, unless there is a period of at least 3 months between the starting dates of the programmes of interest. If a student applies for an Erasmus Mundus programme for which Erasmus Mundus fellowships are available, he/she can also apply for another programme. If the other programme is also an Erasmus Mundus programme, the applicant can submit up to 3 applications.
Further questions about the application procedure can be addressed to:
Ms Ineke Melis
Admission and Fellowship Officer