This specialization is intended for professionals from urban water and wastewater authorities, urban development ministries/authorities, water and environment ministries, private companies, academia, NGOs and city and municipal authorities dealing with or interested in water and sanitation services and managing the urban water cycle. Candidates with a Bachelor’s degree preferably in Civil, Environmental or Water Resources Engineering or related fields are eligible to apply.
Students who successfully complete the programme will be awarded the Master degree in Urban Water Engineering and Management. This degree will be awarded jointly by AIT and IHE Delft.
This specialization is a joint programme offered with the Asian Institute of Technology (AIT), Bangkok, Thailand.
Start: 15 August 2021
Application deadline: 01 June 2021
Graduates of the Urban Water Engineering and Management specialization will:
- Understand the urban water cycle and its water system components, their characteristics and functioning within greater urban infrastructure systems;
- Understand urban water management problems including ability to: identify water systems’ demand; deal with climatic and hydrologic uncertainties and/or extremes; institutional limitations; and work within a data-constrained environment;
- Be able to make appropriate and critical use of methods, techniques and tools necessary to monitor, analyse and design urban water systems including water supply infrastructure, drinking water treatment and distribution, wastewater collection, treatment, transport and disposal systems and drainage systems;
- Understand water infrastructure/asset planning, financing and management, and utility management;
- Be familiar with the concept of integrated water resources management (IWRM) and its application to a variety of water management problems at the urban catchment scale.
Tuition & fellowships
If you wish to receive more information about the fees and living costs of a specific Joint Programme, please send an e-mail to the fellowship officer, Ms Ineke Melis: firstname.lastname@example.org
The following fellowships are recommended for prospective students who wish to study Urban Water Engineering and Management
Inlaks Scholarships provide the opportunity to young Indian people with exceptional talent in any field to broaden their vision abroad and improve their skills to operate in society, thus making them a future vehicle of change in their environment. The scholarships are of two types: university courses and specific programs.
more info: www.inlaksfoundation.org
JN Tata Endowment for the Higher Education of Indians
The JN Tata Endowment for the Higher Education of Indians has been helping Indian students since 1892 with loan scholarships for higher studies. People consider it a matter of great pride to be called a 'JN Tata Scholar'. There are now more than 5,004 JN Tata Scholars all over the world.
more info: www.jntataendowment.org
Application & Admission
Academic admission to IHE Delft MSc Programmes may be granted to applicants who provide evidence of having:
- A Bachelor degree at level B/B+ (US system) or 2nd upper (British system) in an appropriate field which has been awarded by a university of recognised standing, comparable in level with a Bachelor degree from a research university in the Netherlands. Exceptions can be made if a candidate is below this level, but has a substantial experience in the field of the programme and/or has a strong motivation to join the programme.
- A good command of the English language, if this is not the first language. All non-native English-speaking applicants must satisfy the English language requirements for IHE Delft's educational programmes.
- A strong motivation to successfully complete the programme.
Several years of professional experience in an area of work related to the specialisation is an asset.
For admission to this programme you may apply to either IHE Delft or AIT. For IHE Delft please complete the online application form. For AIT you can download the application form from AIT's website, and submit the completed form with required documents. Alternatively, you can also submit your application online from the same website. Please mention clearly which programme you are applying for.
The application deadline for the programme is 1 June of the year in which it starts. Take into account that, in case you wish to apply for financial assistance, the fellowship application deadline is usually much earlier.
For admission to the programme please complete the online application, the link to the application section of our website is available at the top of this page.
You need to submit the following documents:
- Certified copies of degrees/diplomas.
- Certified copies of academic transcripts. Authenticated or certified copies are copies with an official stamp to verify that the copies are true copies of original documents. This official stamp may be from one of the following: a solicitor/notary, the educational institution from where the student gained the diplomas or the local council/local authority/local government office.
- Two reference letters, preferably one from a person that can judge students' professional abilities and one from a person that can judge his/her academic abilities. One recommendation letter has to come from the current employer (if available) and another one from the university the student graduated from. Letters have to have an official letterhead and need to be signed.
- Motivation letter; in maximum 500 words explain why you wish to be admitted to the chosen programme, how it will benefit you in the future. The letter also must show that you understand what the chosen programme is about.
- Copy of passport.
- Copy of results of English language test score (if required, see English language requirements).
Please note all documents are required to be in English, or officially translated into English.
One cannot apply for more than one programme per academic year, unless there is a period of at least 3 months between the starting dates of the programmes of interest. If a student applies for an Erasmus Mundus programme for which Erasmus Mundus fellowships are available, he/she can also apply for another programme. If the other programme is also an Erasmus Mundus programme, the applicant can submit up to 3 applications.
Further questions about the application procedure can be addressed to:
Ms Ineke Melis
Admission and Fellowship Officer